Thread: TED talk - 'emotional hygiene'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mitz
    Sam,it's difficult to describe the awareness bit, as it is something you experience, rather than describe, but it is your awareness, your conciousness, what is looking from your eyes, what is feeling, hearing, seeing, something beyond your thoughts, but not separate to them either. people call it different names. some people use metaphors to make it easier to understand; like a crystal ball or the sky is your awareness, and the reflections/clouds are the thoughts that come and go, your awareness is always there, consistent, stable, but not always always noticed, so it is about getting familiar and recognising this. if it is something you are interested in exploring further it is a good idea to find a teacher/class to help you get familiar and have some support. I hardly get it myself, it's easier for me to describe than do, especially with very afflictive states. it's easier to start practising using the happier or more neutral thoughts.
    Last edited by mitz; 18-10-15 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitz View Post
    it's easier to start practising using the happier or more neutral thoughts.
    So you are thinking about something during mindfulness, actively choosing what you think about? If I don't do anything, those negative thoughts are so dominant, they are coming instantly, unless I concentrate on something else. Doing mindfulness then means to let them be in my head and torture me?