Thread: Joshua, The Overcomer *SU TRIGGERS*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Josh, nice to meet you properly. I am however really horrified that you'd come to a forum and preach that "depression is more of a negative mindset than an illness"! Do you have any idea the harm that could do to any of our members? People who may have spent years and years trying to fight against the stigma? To actually be able to reach out to their dr and health care for help?
    Imagine me telling my husband through his first breakdown that "you just need to think positively" or the people who I speak to on a daily basis who are suicidal? Be more spiratual and think positively? That just doesn't cut it.
    Depression and mental health are real. They are illness. How dare you insult any of my members or the wider society by telling them it isn't!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Prycejosh1987
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Hi Josh, nice to meet you properly. I am however really horrified that you'd come to a forum and preach that "depression is more of a negative mindset than an illness"! Do you have any idea the harm that could do to any of our members? People who may have spent years and years trying to fight against the stigma? To actually be able to reach out to their dr and health care for help?
    Imagine me telling my husband through his first breakdown that "you just need to think positively" or the people who I speak to on a daily basis who are suicidal? Be more spiratual and think positively? That just doesn't cut it.
    Depression and mental health are real. They are illness. How dare you insult any of my members or the wider society by telling them it isn't!
    I didnt say dont speak to your doctor i always say you should for advice and help. But i have studied illnesses and medication itself can only take a person so far. I said what works for me, it has also worked for alot of people where i am from.
    If you have specific mental illness, where do they affect a person, mostly in the mind. I think its more of a offence to call it an illness than to call it a state of mind. Technically its more correct to say that its a state of mind. I didnt say you should completely ignore the doctor but that you should get advice and support from the doctor but also do what works for you on top of that.

For example, think about weight gain, A Person got depressed, so they put on alot of weight, which caused breathing problems and some internal damage. What do you do, would you call it a illness or a mind set. It is an illness but the real battle is in the mind, once the person adjusts the mindset, and battles what made them depressed, it would lead to a solution in their health and weight issues, and in turn that would start to rectify the internal damage and breathing problems.