Paula, they asked for lists of things we would like and they got me the books I asked for but also a lot of stuff on top of that. His mum tries to spend the same on whoever J is with as she does on J, she's told me so before, and I very clearly told her I would never expect to be made the same as I'm not her daughter and that I'd be grateful for one or two nice gifts. The kids have also told us that they felt overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff.

Suzi, we've done it for the past 2 summers so all the stuff is new to us. We bought the outdoor plates last year as I didn't want to risk our normal plates being broken, and we bought a huge picnic blanket this year that we can all sit on comfortably and is really bright and cheerful. We chose it together.

Like I said, I just feel like a horrible and ungrateful person.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
I know you love books. I know you always ask for books but I feel uncomfortable buying you books mostly because you have so many I don’t know what you already have plus I’m not sure what sort of thing you like to read and I’m too scared to get it wrong. Plus I enjoy taking the piss with joke gifts lol
I love what you got me though, and my birthday present is sat on a bookcase on the landing next to the lamp my parents bought me a few years ago! So even though you may feel uncomfortable buying me books, you still manage to choose things I like.