It also costs alot of money to do the surgery with all the aftercare and especially in the old county i lived in the risk outwayed the reward both financially and medically and surgery is the very last resort. I am currently balanced with the pain meds I am on (Tramadol & amytriptyline which is also a anti depressent) I do physio exercises every day and I have adjusted my life style to get by. Yes its cost me alot of money with getting a special memory foam mattress, High abck computer chair (though at work they did make sure I had a chair that would be ok for me) I don't lift heavy items if I can avoid it, I plan things like cleaning tidying etc to spread it over a time period to try and not overdoo it and be out of action in alot of pain the next few days (easier said then done) I am t-total, currently trying to loose a little weight to take some strain off my joints (again easier said then done) it effects sex pain spikes during can make you impotent, its something I have had to learn my limits etc. to live with. Chronic pain suffers always have to make sacrifices to carry on with as much a normal life as we can have. If was ever to get the surgery theres a 40% risk I could be paralyzed by it, I would have to wear a corset for 6 months and I would never be able to bend over I would have to learn to do things differently.