Thread: Medication Review: Lithium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EJ
    Hi I also take lithium 1,000mg at night with 45mg of mirtazapine. Lithium has literally saved my life and I went on it when my son was about a year old - so about fifteen years. I was on a lower dose but this was upped and my bloods are stable around 0.77. I was very afraid about taking lithium not only because of its reputation but also because people immediately think of serious mental illness when you talk about it. I don't carry a medi alert only my lithium card which has name and consultants name and dose of lithium on it. I have not suffered any ill effects from being on it.it is a pain in hot weather taking on enough fluids and also having to eat and drink at regular intervals or I get the shakes. Lithium not only augments my anti depressant but also levels my mood. I am sure it prevents me having the spectacular lows that I used to experience. I know that if I started to experience side effects from the lithium then I would have to come off it. Going into hospital is difficult and my latest overnight stay involved a fair amount of vomiting. I needed to take my drugs because the consequences of not would be worse than the dehydration. Fortunately they put me on a drip and I was able to take my pills.the combination of the mirtazapine and the lithium makes me feel very heavy. If I am going out I will take the lithium at 10pm and the mirt when I am safely in bed. Lithium has to be taken at the same time every night and also the same brand (mine is priadel) but there are others. it requires responsibility with the blood tests and for me that means thyroid , kidney and liver checks. Sometimes electrolytes as well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJ For This Useful Post:

Paula (24-11-13),Suzi (23-11-13)