Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Distraction Techniques

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    smokin
    I always find checking that my animals are ok takes my mind off things

Tiggigiz
    I read, if I can manage to hold the words in my head and not re-read the same page multiple times
    I blog, it started out to document my migraines so I had the information and has fine in from there, I now have a blog for depression, a blog for my poems (not happy ones I'm afraid) and a random blog, tat I hope to build on if I get better

I found that if I can just stop myself from thinking! I can get by for that amount of time.

Tiggigiz
    Sorry cant see an edit and wanted to apologise for the typo I saw after posting. Should say has gone on from there.. My auto correct on phone is worse than I am!

beataamanda
    Lolcats is aaalways going to cheer you up! I don't care how down you are, you will at the least crack a smile. Buzzfeed is good for that as well as Humortrain.

Otherwise, I love getting lost in a good book as well, there is nothing so wonderful as getting lost on a completely different planet, time and life.
    I also like to write, it's good to get some of the cobwebs out in the mornings and that helps me set up for the day.

OscarGilbert
    I used to listen to music to divert my mind.

lonelyfrog
    I have just started playing Animal Crossing Wild World on Nintendo DS and find it a really helpful soothing activity. It is therapeutic with the soft sounds and little animals and colours and you can get lost for a couple of hours in your own virtual world, tending flowers, catching bugs or decorating your home.

Another thing I do a lot is read. Sometimes I like to catch up with my favourite bloggers on youtube which is also soothing, or I will colour (I coloured before the adult colouring hype) but it is so relaxing! Cleaning is also good and it stops me festering in bed and smells great :~) Thankyou for this sticky, I will keep looking to find new tips x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lonelyfrog For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-05-17)

sgchedra
    As a way to distract myself from a whole bunch of things, I made this youtube channel, comedy based, but I've been wanting to make videos on more mental illness things and I did my first ever video on this, with a bit of humor called "Dealing with Emotions". It would help so much if you could check the video out and maybe subscribe. I've been feeling really bad lately and I would be so appreciative if you could!!
    Last edited by Jaquaia; 30-05-17 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Removed link

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sgchedra For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-05-17)

Eric
    A lot of great suggestions have been made how to occupy their time to handle overwhelming thoughts. Fishing has been a real nice activity I've been recently enjoying and really helps as I am a nature lover. Goes well with my hiking and such. There's one thing many have not mentioned that really helps cope with negative thoughts on a sociology level. If your feeling anti-social, distrusting and insecure then maybe this hobby will illiviate those thoughts and feelings.

The hobby I'm gonna reference has been around for about 127yrs now and involves electrical engineering technology, science, nature, survival preparedness, emergency preparedness, astrology, radio engineering, broadcasting, and a broad range of discussions that can relate to everyone. This hobby is called Ham Radio, or Amatuer Radio Broadcasting.

It's a neat hobby that involves wireless communications that will keep you active learning how to build a radio station suited for your wallet. It has a community of people who relate themselves to bettering the human race and encourages others to become embassadors of good will world wide. There's is no prejudismn. There's no color, religion, race, or creed barrier. When I'm feeling alone, anti-social and depressed for some reason I turn on my transceiver and it goes away. I'm proficient in Morse code up to 30wpm and enjoy it when I don't feel like talking. The Morse helps me concentrate on the code and nothing else.

You'll be surprised at the melting pot of people involved in this wonderful hobby. I've met and made friends all over the world which has allowed me to meet some wonderful people. I've spoken with Princess's, Kings and embassadors of other countries. From top military personal, astronauts, politicians, famous radio broadcasters like Walter Cronkite, to your blue color worker from every occupation imaginable.

I've been a ham for over 27 years and still love it as much today as I did then. When my days are down I turn on the rig and if it's searching for a foreign radio station (S.W.L.), military signal, space signal, DX chasing to "Radio Contesting" it's been my drug that calms me, makes me happy and allows me to forget all. Not my Lexapro.

Hope this gets to everyone and if you have any questions how to get started in your country don't be afraid to ask. You will enjoy associating with many people from all over the world in your field of interest both job, or hobby related.

As we say in the ham community, 73 (best reguards and be well).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric For This Useful Post:

Paula (24-07-17)

ophelia
    children's cartoons.

it might seem a strange one (given my age), but it really works.

programmes like the loud house, peppa pig or ben and holly really distract me.

try it

they are short enough to distract you for a while

TiffanyyO
    I do the same thing, there is something so calming when watching kids shows or Disney movies
    they are my favorite.
    i love all these ideas, i plan to try lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
    children's cartoons.

it might seem a strange one (given my age), but it really works.

programmes like the loud house, peppa pig or ben and holly really distract me.

try it

they are short enough to distract you for a while