Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Distraction Techniques

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua Mum View Post
    Adult colouring books and a huge selection of felt tips!
    Yep colouring books while listening to classical music, going for a short walk helps too.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

A little exercise. While you are walking or running or swimming you can sort things out in your head. Great help to me.

Chihuahua Mum
    Counsellor told me this method for distracting oneself.

1. Look around and say 5 things you can see
    2. Look for 4 things you can touch
    3. 3 things you can hear
    4. 2 things you can smell
    5. 1 thing you can taste

This is a nice idea in theory but I find when I'm having a "funny" day I can't concentrate at all. I wasn't even listening as she was explaining this so I'm hoping it's correct, it's something along those lines anyway!

Mr_t_
    Distractions has been a big help for me, figure keeping my mind occupied with a task or a interest has helped keep me sane.. few of mine are:
    -gardening / growing foods
    -reading
    -playstation
    -photography
    -trying new hobbies...

Gardening (this is great for long summer sunny days)
    DIY (nothing like using your hands to make or repair stuff)
    Gaming PS Vita, PSP or 3DS (tend to fall asleep while playing these days)
    Walking (fairly short lived effect)
    Jigsaws (did these years ago only recently started again)
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

stephenb
    tidying my garage

Hi Stephen, good to meet you? When you're ready, it would be great if you could tell yourself a little about you
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (02-02-16)

Nova
    Just going to pitch in as a forum newb but long time coper.
    I feel there are 3 types of stages and activities that can help for cope which worked for me as a complete loner. I hope it helps for others:

1- the Catatonic state
    Cant move, get out of bed. Lowest energy.
    Distraction: audiobooks, just roll over, put on Bleak Expectations by radio 4 or a Terry Pratchett Discworld audio book and just enjoy the comedy. Laughter can be the best medicine if not a distraction at the very least.

2- the Sloth state
    Excuses for everything, wont leave house, wont do work, hours of convincing yourself to do anything. Some energy.
    Distraction: make a list of all things you have to do in town that you can do in one fell swoop eg pick up your favorite foods, check bank from atm, see what offers are available in clothes/video/cd/supermarket shops, pick up leaflets at tourist information centres, library visit.
    Make it a full round journey thinking only on the destination and what you want to do there, even if its an hour out and you're listening to audiobooks/music all the way through, you've been out and done all the seemingly annoying tasks that needed to be done outside of home so that you can enjoy your results at home.

3- Motivation spike, or the "Meh"-state
    A moment of time you feel you want to do something but feel everything is boring.
    Distraction: go swimming, gym, biking, walking, running- just get out of the house. These moments might be rare, so take the opportunity to do it, get used to being outside and dont forget your media player in case things get boring or your mind starts fizzing again. Dont force yourself to make a routine of it, just do it when you can or you might feel guilty for breaking a routine.

Bonus: Any time at all. Look for comedy. Every time I found my self feeling low I've always turned to Comedy.
    Gabriel Inglesias is a stand up comedian that has made me laugh tears even in the darkest times. Some let's play personalities like Markiplier or Game Grumps are also funny. Comedy Based cartoons and anime as well has helped too where I veg out and binge watch a whole series with a happy grin across my face.
    These might not be for you but I thought I'd throw in my two cents and hope this helps people.

Michael
    Football podcasts, watching old re-runs of classic comedies (Only Fools and Horses being my favourite) and sitting down noodling with the guitar on my lap and hoping my No.1 hit wonder will come out making me millions overnight!

totalsciencer
    Okay that’s all set. That’s good way to distract from depression as we have many gadgets accessible and many things interesting so why not to adopt ways of getting rid of depression a stupid thing from our life. Why we will think about things which increase or depression level. I read a study that repetitive depression can make hippocampus smaller. Why we need to care about careless factors? We have our life and things we have to manage and organize for future betterment.