Thread: Distraction Techniques

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Eric
    A lot of great suggestions have been made how to occupy their time to handle overwhelming thoughts. Fishing has been a real nice activity I've been recently enjoying and really helps as I am a nature lover. Goes well with my hiking and such. There's one thing many have not mentioned that really helps cope with negative thoughts on a sociology level. If your feeling anti-social, distrusting and insecure then maybe this hobby will illiviate those thoughts and feelings.

The hobby I'm gonna reference has been around for about 127yrs now and involves electrical engineering technology, science, nature, survival preparedness, emergency preparedness, astrology, radio engineering, broadcasting, and a broad range of discussions that can relate to everyone. This hobby is called Ham Radio, or Amatuer Radio Broadcasting.

It's a neat hobby that involves wireless communications that will keep you active learning how to build a radio station suited for your wallet. It has a community of people who relate themselves to bettering the human race and encourages others to become embassadors of good will world wide. There's is no prejudismn. There's no color, religion, race, or creed barrier. When I'm feeling alone, anti-social and depressed for some reason I turn on my transceiver and it goes away. I'm proficient in Morse code up to 30wpm and enjoy it when I don't feel like talking. The Morse helps me concentrate on the code and nothing else.

You'll be surprised at the melting pot of people involved in this wonderful hobby. I've met and made friends all over the world which has allowed me to meet some wonderful people. I've spoken with Princess's, Kings and embassadors of other countries. From top military personal, astronauts, politicians, famous radio broadcasters like Walter Cronkite, to your blue color worker from every occupation imaginable.

I've been a ham for over 27 years and still love it as much today as I did then. When my days are down I turn on the rig and if it's searching for a foreign radio station (S.W.L.), military signal, space signal, DX chasing to "Radio Contesting" it's been my drug that calms me, makes me happy and allows me to forget all. Not my Lexapro.

Hope this gets to everyone and if you have any questions how to get started in your country don't be afraid to ask. You will enjoy associating with many people from all over the world in your field of interest both job, or hobby related.

As we say in the ham community, 73 (best reguards and be well).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric For This Useful Post:

Paula (24-07-17)