Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Sissies united

So sorry to hear that he's back on the bottle. Sadly, stopping has to be what he wants and only him. I can understand you wanting to leave, for YOUR mental well being and the kids' too. I'm pleased that he has medical support. If you leave then the drinking may get worse before it gets better itms. But you must consider your life too. I really hope he can get things together, and more importantly, that he has to understand that he just get away with one beer, one vodka etc...it just does not work!! Any chance he can spend a few months in rehab that involves the Twelve Step Programme? Even if it is a long way away. It may cost quite a bit where you are...I don't know anything about your health system....but it will be money well spent. No contact with family for 6 weeks or so which will give you and the children a break too. Long term sobriety is a way of life and the changes and sacrifices needed to stay that way. I do hope he finds a way. Personally Sissy..the odd visit to a clinic, the Dr or a nurse just isn't going to work...wish you were here, I could do so much more for you. Good luck sweetie.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

OldMike (09-07-21),Suzi (07-07-21)

Problems is, participating that program costs 10 000-15 000€,which I seriously do not have. I can not take a bank loan for it. So this is what we have to try. I am worried, and sad, and desperate. He is not a bad person. But there is just so much I can do, and unless I win the lottery, I can not get him to minnesota-type clinic. So. I am here, if he needs me. First time ever he said he feels he wants to quit for good, completely. So I am seeing this through. Even if you think it won't work.
    I am fluent in finnish, swedish, english, sarcasm and profanity.

You have to try what you can, and he is going into this wanting to get it right this time. I hope and pray it’ll work
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Keeping everything crossed for you! The key thing is he wants to quit completely this time
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Him wanting to quit is most of the battle love. That's really important hunni.
    That's a huge cost for treatment. Do you have things like Alcohol Anonymous? A support group that he could attend?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Walker extraordinaire!
    A willingness to stop is definitely a positive. Thinking of you all. It's a tough road.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

That's a ridiculous amount of money to have to pay for treatment...few people could afford it. Thank God for the NHS! Of course he's not a bad person, he has just lost his way that's all. It's just a shame that apart from you and a few others there isn't that crucial back up that's so important in the early stages of recovery...but having said that, I know a few people that have stopped drinking and haven't had a drink for 10-15 years, so it can be done Sissy, and if he means he wants to stop then he can do it, it's just not quite the same as being surrounded by people who are also trying to stop. Has he ever been prescribed Antabuse?xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

Suzi (09-07-21)

He has been prescribet it before, and now also. Antabus is not a solution, but it gives an extra tool to deal with this. I am slightly worried though, since it is not like he enjoys drinking, but it feels like he has to drink to calm his body and mind.

I start in a new Job tomorrow. I start at local gas station, we will see how things will turn out. It is only 2 months now, but maybe if I do Well, I get a longer contact.

Good luck for the first day tomorrow - will you let us know how you get on?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I will. I have to be at work at 5:45 am, so I try to get some sleep now.