Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lent

Yep...
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Luke 18:15-17,25
    [15] People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. [16] But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. [17] Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

During Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), Jews would bring their children to the local rabbi and ask for his blessing on them and their children. This may have been the background for these verses as parents asked for Jesus to bless them and their children. We don’t know why the disciples wanted to turn them away, perhaps it was just the end of a long day..... But Jesus made 3 points:

Let the children come to me (the word used here is for infants)
    To such children (who are being brought to Jesus as the kingdom’s King for blessing - an act of faith in Jesus) belongs the kingdom of God
    You won’t enter the kingdom of God if you don’t receive it like a child (ie as a free and gracious gift)
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Like a free gift? I always thought this was about innocence and being sin free and childlike like not knowing any of the answers etc.... Accepting as a free gift sounds much easier, much more straightforward and easier to access itms?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Totall!

Thanks for this lovely, I'm really enjoying the time I'm spending reading the extracts a couple of times and then the discussion with you/anyone else who wants to join in...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Paula (11-03-21)

Sorry I’ve been a bit of a party pooper the last few days on this thread. Struggling to get my head around a lot of things and some of the passages are challenging but I have been reading the posts.

I think it's definitely challenging, but I also think that this is a great thread and I've never really looked at the passages like this - Would you like to join "the Sanctuary" section and maybe we could do some more of this kind of thing - if Paula doesn't mind...

I dunno.

It's an open invitation for whenever you may want to, never any pressure....

I’m happy to