Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Lent

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    That’s because all your ugly ducklings are swans, love..... the way I see it, if there were any mitigating circumstances, it would have been mentioned later in the New Testament. As it was, I don’t think this mention in Acts would have been quite so stark...

Acts 1:18-19
    [18] (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. [19] Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)
    Fair enough..... Can I still hold my belief that he wasn't the total irredeemable bad guy?

Quote Originally Posted by selena View Post
    That is calcium deficiency and the doctor strongly advised to maintain dairy products.
    Fair enough, if you've been told to do so then you should definitely follow that. (hugs)
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

selena (20-03-21)

Lol I would never want you to be anyone other than who you are!
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Thank you....

Luke 22:7-23
    [7] Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. [8] Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover.” [9] “Where do you want us to prepare for it?” they asked. [10] He replied, “As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, [11] and say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' [12] He will show you a large room upstairs, all furnished. Make preparations there.” [13] They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover. [14] When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. [15] And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. [16] For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” [17] After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. [18] For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” [19] And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” [20] In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. [21] But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. [22] The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” [23] They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.

Jesus would have celebrated the Passover celebration every year of his life, and the sacrifice of the lamb to rescue the Israelites from Egypt was what his nation had been built on. And his life and ministry were defined by it:

John 1:29
    [29] The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

On the Mount of Transfiguration earlier in his ministry:

Luke 9:31
    [31] They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem.

The Greek word that Luke uses, here translated as departure, is more accurately translated as ‘exodus’

Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt to release from bondage to Pharoah, which was a shadow of the reality, pointing towards Jesus leading his people out of bondage to sin
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I know this will sound stupid, but I'd never made the connection between sacrificial lamb and "Lamb of God"....
    I love the Communion service. I know it mostly word for word. It's something so sacred and something that I feel is so important to my faith.

I agree

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (22-03-21)

Never taken communion. Church rituals scare me.

Can I ask why they scare you? No judgement, just curiosity..

I’m not really a rituals kind of person, but communion is beautiful - it’s a powerful reminder of what my Lord gave for me

Haha, ok scared probably isn’t the right word but I just don’t feel comfortable with many things related to the church rituals and that also includes public singing, and exchanging the peace to name a few. I guess I just don’t like interacting with a bunch of strangers when it’s not or my terms. Being fed and watered by a man in a dress in front of and alongside these strangers is just a bit too weird for me. When I attended church I was only there for the sermon. I preferred to hide as close to the door as possible so I can make my escape without being spotted lol.