Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeing no way out **SH Trigger**

There are all sorts of ways to use grounding techniques. This website lists a few. I particularly found the ‘senses’ technique very helpful. You can also have someone talk these through with you (eg list 5 sounds you can hear) so it could be something you can get your parents to do with you

https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/the-g...en-im-anxious/
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (05-02-21),Flo (02-02-21)

There are lots of different grounding techniques.
    The one I've used a lot is the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
    Find:
    5 things that you can see
    4 things you can hear
    3 things you can touch
    2 things you can smell
    1 thing you can taste
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (05-02-21),Flo (02-02-21)

That sounds interesting... I'll definitely try it out. Sounds like a great method xx
    Thank you all

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly For This Useful Post:

Suzi (01-02-21)

Sorry for the double post xx
    Okay so after a horrible week so far I'm now on calming meds called 'Laif 900'
    Don't know if it's just my imagination or if they actually make my heart racing a bit but they apparently seem to be popular and effective. Said they help after 2 weeks already. Hope yku all had a better week xx

Those are commonly known as St John's Wort. A herbal remedy. It does only appear to help in very mild cases - and if you are on any other medication - especially oral contraceptives then you HAVE to tell the pharmacist as they interact with so many things and cause so many issues.

Can I ask why you've started this, rather than talking to your Dr?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21)

Oh love, you really need to see your doctor. You’ve been here for a month now and, if you’d have gone then, you’d be well into treatment that would be starting to make you feel better. I’m sorry to be blunt, but what you’re doing is not working - and St John’s Wort really isn’t helpful for most people
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21)

Everyone in my family is talking me out of meds like antidepressants and stuff so I probably start to believe too that I shouldn't take them. Sometimes I feel like I'm not "ill enough" to take them... I'm so sorry.

You have nothing to be sorry for lovely, it's just we've kind of been there, done that - either ourselves or been through it with a loved one.

Why are they so desperate for you not to take them?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21)

Oh I get it, I really do hunni. But ultimately, you’re the one who’s feeling like this, not them. And take it from someone who knows, getting to the point where you’re so ill you self destruct is not fun. It’s fab that you’re seeing a therapist but that can take a long time and a lot of heartache to get through, and it may be you need some help in the meantime..... please see your doctor

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21)

I don't know.. I suppose they're seeing those "horror stories" and see it as sort of addicting. They say I shouldn't be focusing on wanting to take meds already when I just started into talking therapy.
    I told them that I'm not seeing as an easy way out and that it CAN take time to work and to adjust to it but that it helps. They just said "Yes YOU think that, try out therapy first. No doctor will give you meds straight away." - and I just think... can I really go to my doctor, tell him my symptoms and expect to get meds or advice for meds?