I'm a little more on the shy or cautious side, so I'm definitely not trying too hard. I probably would be irritated as well if someone came up to me like that, trying to push it from the first second.
But for some reason I have never been approached once for 10+ years. Sure, I'm not the best looking guy out there, but being like a solid 6 with humour and a good and honest attitude should be enough for at least trying, I hope.
But since I'm somewhat shy, or at least reserved, and not really tall (quite small actually) I'm maybe not standing out and am overlooked quite easy, who knows.
And before you ask, there are no issues with body odor or such, my friends are a very honest bunch and very direct too, they would definitely have me told so and made jokes about it

I tried Tinder once for some time, but not having any matches at all just turns down your self-esteem. I'm not really the type for online dating anyway and prefer to meet people irl. Just feeling more comfortable doing so.

I guess I have the best chances when being recommended by friends. But until that happens I'd still love to have some advice on how to cope with it.