The city where I live is not very good for meeting people. In my age group, over 70% of the population are male and usually very introverted because here is the IT capital of the world. Nevertheless I attend two meetup groups on a weekly or two-week basis: a foreign language group and a Europeans group.

As for hobbies, I like chess (not as a simple game, but as a competitive sport and as a science) and foreign languages. In chess there are very few women and is widely known as a "sausagefest" activity since it is normal a chess tournament to have a male-to-female ratio of somewhere high like 500-1. Foreign languages are usually better for meeting women. But as I said, my city skews heavily male, and many meetups can average 80% male. Sometimes 95-100% male.

Maybe meeting people online is better. But so far I do not know any online meeting groups to meet women. When I lived in Britain, I met a lot more women than I do here. But in the UK I was always studying hard instead of focussing on dating.