Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading atm?

knowlesy

This week ah have been mostly reading The historian by Elizabeth Kostova
    (its a non sparkly vampire book- about The original, Vlad Dracula )

Finished reading The Men Who Stare At Goats by Jon Ronson last week, if you liked the film try the book, I liked it.
    Have now started reading The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeppelin For This Useful Post:

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    Was the Ronson book any good Zepp? - I remember seeing it when it was first published but never read it.

Ronson has a very amusing writing style. I've read two of his books now, The Psychopath test and The Men Who Stare at Goats and I thought they were both really good. If you've seen the Men Who Stare At Goats film (which you can watch on YouTube for free by the way), it's only very loosely based on the book and there is so much more covered in the book than in the film.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeppelin For This Useful Post:

amaeru (18-06-14)

Just this minute finished reading The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham. It's the third of his books I've read, I've also read The Day of The Triffids and The Crysalids. They are all very good.
    Next will be I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

Red Dwarf audiobooks, read by Rimmer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f793imHbjk4

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amaya For This Useful Post:

amaeru (04-07-14),Suzi (05-07-14)

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar

Probably in the studio in North Zummerset
    Just started rereading the Hornblower books by C.S. Forester. This will be about the forth or fifth time I have read them, I can't seem to concentrate on anything new at the moment. I just love them. I think I relate to them as Hornblower is a character who is struggling with his feelings of worthlessness all the time, yet is actually capable of and does great things in the face of all the odds. I love that afterwards he never accepts that actually he was the hero but is convinced that it was luck or bad judgement by the enemy that led to his successes. He struggles with feeling depressed a lot but yet manages to carry on. He is a character who is always fair to his men and they love him for it although again he can never understand why anyone should love him or want to serve with him.

Finished reading I Am Legend by Richard Matheson yesterday, a really good book. The film of the same name which was based on it is almost a completely different story altogether though.
    Have now started reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, I actually don't know the story at all I think the only film adaptation of it I've seen is the Muppet one.

I tried to read Treasure Island but got bored - and I'll read the back of a cereal box. I have read a lot of classics but went through a period of wanting to read more. I wish I'd never read Lord of the Flies though .....
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.