Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading atm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo-agogo View Post
    I've not read the book but been a fan of the film since I first saw it as a kid and found it very powerful and moving. If the book's anything like as good it should be worth a read
    I've not seen the film though I know it exists (Jack Nicholson isn't it?). I may well give it a watch once I've read the book. The rate I read books I've got a good few weeks reading to go though.

Et je m'envole, vole, vole, vole, vole, vole. Que d'espérance.
    Revenge of the Jew by Vera Kryzhanovskaya, it has already made an impact on me.

Hugo-agogo
    Yep, it's a great performance by Jack Nicholson. I must check out the book.

It's funny, but what you said reminded me of when I had Day of the Triffids (the movie) on tape, while I was still reading the book, and was itching to watch the film but couldn't until I'd finished the novel!

I liked Day of the Triffids. I read it as a book comparison for my english gcse with War of The Worlds, except it took me so long to read Triffids that I didn't have time to read War of the Worlds so had to blag the essay based on the film and Jeff Waynes musical version. I've read day of the triffids since and have also watched the film. But as you said, I would always finish the book before watching the film now. Though I have read books that films were based on having liked the film and realised they were based on books.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeppelin For This Useful Post:

Hugo-agogo
    I liked it too, and I've still got the book (and BBC tv series on DVD). I've read War of the Worlds as well. I can't remember which -maybe both- had these haunting scenes of empty cities. Did you blag it successfully? I remember Jeff Waynes musical version, as a friend of mine had it on vinyl, and I can still hum the theme! Yep, I wouldn't want a film to affect my imagination if I'm reading the book first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo-agogo View Post
    I liked it too, and I've still got the book (and BBC tv series on DVD). I've read War of the Worlds as well. I can't remember which -maybe both- had these haunting scenes of empty cities. Did you blag it successfully? I remember Jeff Waynes musical version, as a friend of mine had it on vinyl, and I can still hum the theme! Yep, I wouldn't want a film to affect my imagination if I'm reading the book first.
    I did manage to blag it, though I can't remember what garde I got now, a B I think? I kinda grew up with the Jeff Wayne musical, my dad had it so we would hear it at home or in the car on the way to holiday and things like that.

One of the tracks from the Musical version of War of the Worlds is on my alltime favourites list

Just about to start John Grishams Rogue lawyer.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

Finished reading One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest Friday last week. Picked up A Clockwork Orange to take to work Monday then put it back deciding I didn't want to read it and took For Whom The Bells Toll, that didn't read too well for me so am now reading Sweeny Todd instead.

All I seem to read these days is the local newspaper and The Reader's Digest.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"