Thread: Depression, loneliness & excessive worry*SH Trigs*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SA89
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I think that you need to try other groups to meet up with. Maybe some with more similar interests to you or a more similar age group?
    I'm gonna stick it out with this meetup as there's no other groups in bolton. I'm penciled in to meet with them on Thurs & Fri at a bar. There's around 23 people attending on these nights out so should be interesting!. It's not always the same people as they rotate on a waiting list but most are the same. The problem with me is as soon as I don't feel comfortable with 1 person I can't be myself at all.

A lot of them are very assertive & I'm very timid. I try to fake my confidence but it doesn't hold much weight. If I had a career like most of these people then I'd feel more assured but my support work has since dried up. I'm trying to get into admin to have another string to my bow but I'm not sure how. How are you supposed to find a sense of purpose if no one will give you a chance? ..

Why do you think having a career is the way to self confidence? If you’re an introvert, working won’t change that just as me not working since 2007 doesn’t change that I’m an extrovert. It’s just who we are and learning to accept who we are is actually the way to a sense of self worth and being comfortable in our own skin. I think you’re reaching for something that’s not you

Suzi’s right, you should be meeting people you have things in common with. Or maybe doing things that interest you - have you thought about doing college courses? - not for career purposes but just to develop your interests. Most of the training I’ve done over the years were to learn about things that interest me, not for career purposes
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (01-05-19)