Quote Originally Posted by Prycejosh1987 View Post
It doesnt matter what therapist you see. Their messages are the same although the message variates. You really need to think differently yourself and really think about what they say to you. Take it on baord but listening and coping will not change the outcome of your depression. Its more of a state of mind then an illness. Medication can help you cope with depression but it will not solve the problems. It will not deal with whatever makes you depressed. Only you can deal with it and you have to confront it and make the changes in baby steps.
I’m sorry, but I disagree. Depression IS an illness. In my case, my psychiatrist told me a long time ago that, with my family history, I ‘never stood a chance’. My illness is predominantly inherited and has nothing to do with state of mind or past trauma. The only treatment for me is medication - proven recently in a change in (non psychiatric) medication causing me to spiral into a MH crisis within a matter of days.

Of course, for many, there is a link to past trauma and/or what’s going on in their lives but that’s not the whole story. Please do not tell other members it’s ‘all in their mind’. Not only is it untrue, it’s also extremely unhelpful - and can make people feel they’re making it up.