Chapter Two
Lena opened her eyes groggily, she felt dizzy and she had a headache.
“Where are we?” she asked Mia as she peered around into the darkness. She couldn’t make anything out it was so black.
“Woof” said Mia, and proceeded to chase her tail. Lena waited for her eyes to adjust but nothing happened, not even the vaguest outline of a shape appeared before her eyes. She reached out in front of her but felt nothing but emptiness; she swallowed once, her heart pounding in her chest. She rubbed her eyes and looked around again. All of a sudden she was surrounded by bright colours swirling all around her. She looked down at Mia who had stopped chasing her tail and was sat watching the various wisps of colour that were floating all around her.
“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Mia asked, looking up at Lena with her big brown eyes. Lena blinked and took a few steps back.
“I’m sorry, can you say that again?” she asked as she eyed Mia warily.
“I said it’s beautiful isn’t it?” Mia repeated, and trotted off down a path that had just appeared in front of her. Lena stood in a daze and watched Mia getting smaller and smaller as she walked away down the path. Suddenly she blinked and rubbed her eyes again and then hurried off in the direction that Mia had gone.
“Hey, wait up!” she called as she saw Mia round a corner up ahead. She ran off after her, turned the corner and then stopped suddenly and stared up in wonder; down by her side, Mia was doing the same.
“Woah” they both said in unison as a giant cloudlike creature floated past over their heads. As they surveyed the area ahead of them they realised that the sky, which was a deep shade of purple, was filled with these glorious creatures all different shapes and sizes. They were pale pink in colour, with huge black eyes and snout-like noses, and their bodies appeared to dance around the sky, passing through one another like a cool breeze flowing through ones hair. Lena and Mia stood a while as if entranced, watching the creatures swirling through the air gracefully. Out of the corner of her eye, Lena noticed the path continuing to grow in front of them. She gave Mia a gentle nudge with the side of her foot.
“Should we carry on?” She whispered to Mia, throwing a cautious look at the shapes above.
“I don’t see why not” Mia replied, “although I don’t know why you’re whispering, those things look pretty harmless.”
“I guess you’re right” said Lena, and she started off along the path. Mia began to follow her, glancing around in amazement as she did. Lena began to swing her arms and whistle a jaunty tune as she walked, this day was shaping out to be much more interesting than she had expected. She didn’t immediately notice the large creatures start to turn their heads and look down on them, their black eyes suddenly glowing a fiery red. The sky darkened and lightning flashed up above, causing Lena to turn up and look. As she did, the biggest of the creatures bared its teeth at her and snarled menacingly. The creatures all joined together behind it and they started careening towards them. Lena and Mia looked at each other in fright; they both took a huge deep breath,
“RUN!” they both screamed at the tops of their lungs.