Thread: Week 1: ‘Room’ discussion group. **SPOILERS**

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have to say that I was really disappointed with the ending..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Ma did brilliantly in horibble circumstances but I don’t think she ever expected to escape - her only focus was to get Jack out.

I think Jack’s biggest challenge is going to be sharing Ma - even at the end with their new home there was never any doubt they’d share the bed, he has no concept of allowing her to be her own person. I know this sounds odd but I really struggled with that - I’ve always insisted on my kids giving me personal space
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquaia View Post
    What disappointed you?
    Actually it was that nothing seemed resolved. Does that make sense? There was no sentencing, there was nothing sorted for Ma and Jack properly.

The lost relationship with her mother hit me hard, from both points of view actually.
    I also really struggled with a great need to know that Ma is going to be OK. That she'll find someone to be her protector and someone to love her completely. That there would be someone there for when the flashbacks happened etc.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I did wonder if there was a sequel intended to settle things but the true genius of the book is in its unique viewpoint - I can’t see how she could do that again. Mind you, I wonder how she could see a trial through Jacks eyes?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.