Quote Originally Posted by Hereforyou View Post
He tells me how's he's feeling.. When he's stressed ans feeling crappy.. I just remind him that he's not completely lost or a lost cause because there are still elements of him coming through and he still cares enough to try for those around him...
But surely those around him should accept him as his is and not want to change him. Obviously you don't want him to be poorly, but to imply that if he isn't putting on a mask of "happy" then he isn't trying and isn't caring about those around him is really awful. That's akin to "Pull yourself together"

What I don't want to happen is for him to not see the positives in his day I.e. being able to laugh yesterday whereas he was completely unable to do so for a week prior to that..

He's always been an extremely negative person and I don't want him to not see the positives in how he's being..... If that makes sense....
I get that you want him to see the positives, but you pointing them out isn't necessarily helpful and pushing him to be positive could make the depressive thoughts so much worse.... If he genuinely can't see anything positive, you pushing him to do so will only reinforce that he's not able to "even see that" or that you saying that he should be positive about things means that he can't tell you how bad he is feeling....