Thread: My little worries are building up...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JamieW
    Hi - welcome to the site...

Speaking for past experience about Uni .... please try to speak to your GP in the first instance and seek help....
    I would also really advise you to speak to your parents .... i KNOW how hard it is ....

Going back over 20 years now - but i was in my final year at uni and think i had depression (didn't realise this at the time but was deeply down, troubled and in a bad place).... i let my work slide.... i started attending less ... and it wasn't until it was too late for my degree that i finally broke down and told my parents ..... they were super supportive but for me it was too late and i dropped out

Please try and seek help before it's too late for you .... you might be able to defer a year - take a year out ... get extensions i dunno ... the uni will TRY and help you make it through but they cannot if they don't know ....

I didn't speak to my parents until it was breaking point degree wise and mentally ..... had i done it a few months before i could have saved it .... It was a hard conversation - i just collapsed and it all spilled out .... speaking now as a parent i know i would want my children to come to me no matter what the problem.

Seek help ... it's there - especially with uni ..... hope you can find the courage to do it....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieW For This Useful Post:

Paula (12-12-17)

Alexis
    Hi Jamie, thank you for posting!
    It's reassuring to hear that i'm not the only one struggling with my degree, I just feel like i've already had 3 years of this I shouldn't be struggling at this stage

I have considered dropping out...a lot...but i'm just so near the end and I cant bare the thought of letting everyone know I couldn't handle it. Deferring would be an option definitely, I worry though as I have a real support network here of friends and flatmates that actually do have a big impact on my happiness and I honestly couldn't see myself spending another year here without them after they all move on in June. I know thats silly coz uni isn't just about the social side but I've become such a shy person now I don't think I could make new friends and the thought of loneliness here scares me!

Your post has helped a lot, I really do need to do something about this before i'm drowning in failed coursework. I'm very near the limit of what I can take now I do think its only a matter of weeks before I break so I'm going to make an appointment this afternoon probably for next week