Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
borderline personality disorder is for life.
this is actually not true. The psychiatrist I met at the hospital told me that I could have a full recovery within a year with the right treatment. This may not of course be true for everyone with the diagnosis. But at least it is possible.

And if a professionals opinion wasn't reason enough for me to believe this, I have my own logic: BPD is diagnosis on the basis of behaviours. The behaviours stem from emotional instability. From trauma, high sensitivity, attachments problems, etc etc. this varies from person to person. There may be aspects of the underlying causes that stay with us for life.. but the vast majority can be treated. Therapy aimed at trauma resolution, therapy that gives tools to cope with anxiety or learning how to better handle relationships etc etc. So maybe the sensitivity remains, and certain developmental issues will always have to be taken into account through a healthy self awareness, but the emotional instability can be seriously reduced through a variety of processes. Someone with good emotional stability will no longer behave in the same ways and then you would not meet the criteria for diagnosis any more.

I am still reading my way through your original thread Magie haha it is long. But you asked this as a question a long time ago, can you recover? I made a note to post an answer when I was finished reading. But now I thought hey I will just say it here. Yes you can recover. A BPD diagnosis need not be a lifelong diagnosis. I am not saying that we won't still have aspects related to BPD that will be a challenge for life, but that is not the same as having the illness as a diagnosis. I believe the psychiatrist and what he told me. I am planning on having the fullest recovery possible for myself and from what I see of your progress dealing with life the universe, your family and everything, I believe you can have the same.