I think a person with low self-esteem can get int the habit of attracting the wrong people and clinging to people who do them no good. When that person needs a bit of support then guess what - all those people we have supported and considered your friends are nowhere to be seen.

I have friends who will never ask me how I am, I've learnt to really reduce people like that in my life and only keep the ones who genuinely make my life better even if they are not great friends. I did spend alot of energy on people like that in the past. Now, I have people who care and ask after me, the number of those people has increased, actually since I stated being more honest about my struggles. Perhaps admitting I am not perfect has made me more likable. I try harder with people but I am more ruthless too.

So, what this post is trying to say is, that good people are out there and you deserve good friendships, but you have to let yourself have them, and stay away from (or decrease the number of) people who aren't good friends.