Before venalfaxine xl I was on citalopram then mitrazapine then dulozetine then the venalfaxine longer acting before moving to venalfaxine xl. I was also on a anti physchotic when I was my most ill. I think it was called quitapine but can't remember spelling and was on zopiclone for sleeping. I recently came off preglablin which was prescribed for anxiety. Around 15 years ago I was on fluoxetine which didn't work so was put on venalfaxine which did work. This is why this time I was given venalfaxine because chances were it would work again. Venalfaxine has been great for me both times. Got my depression under control and has enabled me to getc back to work and live life again. For anyone taking venalfaxine the best advice is don't miss a dose, take it around same time every day and always discuss any worries with gp. Withdrawing for me is hard and sometimes I curse it and wish I was never given it. But then when I start thinking that I look back and realise I needed it and it really has helped me get my life back on track.