When I first tried AD's after my daughters birth, GP put me on Loferamine initially. I didn't feel any different at all on it. He insisted I persevered with it to give it time to work, which I did - for around 3 month. I ended up seeing a different dr one day by mistake in appointments for routine appointment and she said she couldn't understand why previous dr started me on tricyclics when there were much better options available & suggested I change to Prozac. I took for 6-8 months if I recall correctly. Felt its effects working but nothing major. Persevered really more than anything. Think it helped in that it gave me a better mood baseline and I managed to pick myself up from there.
When I went to see GP last week, first time I've felt need to seek advice since experience above, he asked about history. Reviewing meds above said trycyclic more appropriate during pregnancy/breast-feeding that SSRI & probably why Loferamine was my first port of call.
Have been prescribed Sertraline on this occasion, day 5. Keeping my fingers crossed this time it's the right thing for me.