Thread: Binge eating and depression **Trigger Warning**

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hugo-agogo
    Hi Tryingtosurvive, welcome to the site
    Well done for getting a diagnosis and for seeking councelling. Have you mentioned your concerns about this in particular to your councellor? If your sessions are coming to an end it might be something you need to bring up as it sounds like you will need further support.
    I think we can turn to all sorts of things as coping mechanisms when we are suffering with the way we are feeling, and that it's about trying to feel differently in that moment, if only for a while. Some of those mechanisms can be very unhealthy and bad for us, and you've mentioned quite a few there. You asked if you were developing it, and I think it can be like that in the sense that we build on any bad habit by repeating it, but that you sound aware of it suggests you may be able to nip it in the bud with healthier ways of coping and I hope your councellor has been able, or will be able, to offer better ways. It sounds like you are very unhappy generally so I guess there may be a lot of problems that lie behind it all, and you've mentioned not being able to cry so there may be a build up of things?
    I don't know about specific medications for eating disorders, if you do have one, but I think that many anti-depressants help in a general way by helping us feel more stable and better able to cope, and that in turn helps us to regulate behaviours and find better strategies that aren't harmful to us. Have you been prescribed any medication for depression?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugo-agogo For This Useful Post:

magie06 (31-01-16)