I think once he sees his doctor you'll get an idea of what you're working with. It may be a good idea for him to have some talking therapy and if he's receptive to it perhaps couples therapy? Although it wouldn't be a good idea to do both at the same time and he could need time to work through some stuff by himself- with the help of his doctor or a therapist. It's really difficult to give advice as we don't know yours or your husband's situation. We can only signpost routes that may be able to offer help. Perhaps you could speak to Relate as I'm sure they'll have experience of your situation. It can often be more difficult for men to come to terms with depression as society puts pressure on them to be macho and the strong one of the couple. It can also be difficult to put effort into your relationship when you're depressed or care for others who may be dependent on you, such as children/friends/parents. It can make you become very insular which I know is difficult for loved ones to deal with. It can also be very hard to accept that your are depressed, especially if you don't know why you are. It's clear you love him and hopefully you'll get some help yourself in how to assist him through this.