I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the union, but there are many people who've also been helped by their union so that is something that anyone should try in a difficult position as they exist primarily to support the interests of the workers. Doesn't mean this always works perfectly.

Also, if you look at history it is always the oppressed groups who have had to fight for their own freedom. Sometimes with help from others not in their group, or with solidarity from other oppressed groups. But none of the rights we take for granted today were handed to us by those in power, they were all fought for in tremendous struggles. However, that does not mean that every individual is responsible for fighting this battle alone. There are plenty of groups who can help with rights in the workplace and on benefits, such as Disabled People Against the Cuts and many others.

So whether you tell or not has to be something the individual weighs up for themselves, is their emotional wellbeing robust enough to deal with possible negative responses? If not, don't, stay safe.

But at some point if we want a world where mental health issues are understood and accepted without the result being discrimination, then we will have to stick our necks out on the tough issues and not wait for someone to not do it for us. But I say that's best done in large groups (like through the unions, campaigners etc.) rather than any particular person putting themselves in an unsafe place by disclosing what they did not have to about their private life. So only do it if you can. But the larger situation has more hope in it than mitz's post would suggest, if we stick together. But mitz, big hugs because your experience sounds horrible and I'd have fought your corner if I'd been your union rep x