Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dating someone with depression and anxiety

hudson88
    I’d this the part I park the emotions and concentrate on just being a good stable friend at this stage? And see what comes of it ?

Hi Hudson, sorry about the delayed welcome.

In my experience, it is possible to be friend’s with an ex - in fact I am friends with my ex husband. However, I think it’s dangerous to be friends with someone only because you hope you're going to have more. So, what do you really think is likely to happen?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

hudson88
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi Hudson, sorry about the delayed welcome.

In my experience, it is possible to be friend’s with an ex - in fact I am friends with my ex husband. However, I think it’s dangerous to be friends with someone only because you hope you're going to have more. So, what do you really think is likely to happen?
    I can be friends it’s just so raw that I need space to break the feelings i ultimately have for her. But when she texts everyday it’s difficult because it’s a reminder to me that I have these feelings
    And I don’t want to come across as insensitive and say hey cut the contact because at this moment she seems to be opening up more and letting me in more to her past albeit with no relationship tag attached
    They’re is more she’s divulging day by day and perhaps my sympathetic ear and understanding is what she needs at this stage of her recovery

But you're her friend and not her counsellor? Maybe she needs pushing towards drs and counselling?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

hudson88
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    But you're her friend and not her counsellor? Maybe she needs pushing towards drs and counselling?
    I agree and she is going to speak to her doctor about that

I have also told her to help speed up the process she could go to a private therapist but she wants to speak to the doctor first before taking the next step

Just make sure that while you're trying to do the right thing for her,that you aren't sacrificing your own happiness.....

hudson88
    Just make sure that while you're trying to do the right thing for her,that you aren't sacrificing your own happiness.....
    Thanks, im trying hard to occupy my mind and keep myself busy and not let her consume its but its tough at times, im sure with time and space that will ease

Are you taking care of the basics? Eating and drinking properly? Getting some exercise?

hudson88
    Are you taking care of the basics? Eating and drinking properly? Getting some exercise?
    Yes, im doing plenty of walking/ running and talking things through with my family

they have been supportive

i suppose the hardest thing to comprehend is that for some reason after all her talk of wanting to live together and spend the rest of our lives together and asking me not to leave her side when she has a bad spell, to then all of a sudden change her mind completely for no reason is the hardest thing to deal with in it all - suppose the highs and lows of depression and anxiety do this

It can be...