Thread: New member

Lucy

Hi there,

My name is Lucy and I am new to this site.

I have had depression for about 5 years but feel like I am going through a really rough patch at the moment. I’m just looking to speak to others who understand and find out other people’s ways of trying to manage their depression.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Lucy and welcome . Are you getting any treatment? ADs, talking therapies etc? Do you have support from friends and family?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Drew
    Hi, Lucy. I’m not in the best place to give advice as I’ve only just begun my journey out of depression. There are some very helpful and caring people on this forum and they have been a great help to me. The most important thing is that you have recognised your depression and you are looking for ways to deal with it. Well done for starting the journey.

Lucy
    Thank you for your replies. I take one medication for for anxiety which I think is helping and I was referred to talking therapies but hey thought the best thing to do would be an online course but it didnt work. The thing is, I really don’t feel I can tell my family I think they just wouldn’t understand. I feel I really disappointed my dad today, but I just couldn’t tell him the real reasons that I couldn’t go out. I just can’t face people. Did you both feel better when you told your family, did they understand? I’ve cut myself off from nearly everyone over the past 6 months but I realise it is really not the best thing to do.

Thanks for your time,
    Lucy.

Hi Lucy and welcome to DWD!
    How long have you been on the medication for? When did you last talk to your GP about how you are feeling? Did you tell them what happened with the counselling?
    Have you looked at www.time-to-change.org.uk ? They have some great ideas to help you to start talking to those around you about how you are feeling. Have you not told anyone how bad you are feeling? Sweetheart if you had a physical illness would you talk to those around you then? This is no different.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

OldMike (01-07-18)

Hi Lucy, I didn't tell my parents about my depression (didn't know it was depression then but knew there was something terribly wrong) until things got so bad it was obvious I wasn't well, my mum got me to the doctor, I think mum understood a little but my dad never did. It was about 25 years ago when my depression reached the point where I could barely function nowadays people are much more aware as to how crippling depression can be.

I'd try and tell your parents rather than hide it away and make excuses for not going out (I used to do something similar when asked out I'd make all sorts of excuses as I was just scared of going out where there were people).

The more open you are the easier it becomes
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I take one medication for for anxiety which I think is helping and I was referred to talking therapies but hey thought the best thing to do would be an online course but it didnt work. The thing is, I really don’t feel I can tell my family I think they just wouldn’t understand. I feel I really disappointed my dad today, but I just couldn’t tell him the real reasons that I couldn’t go out. I just can’t face people. Did you both feel better when you told your family, did they understand? I’ve cut myself off from nearly everyone over the past 6 months but I realise it is really not the best thing to do.

Thanks for your time,
    Lucy.
    I didn’t tell my family as much as my family forced me to see there was a problem (my mum frogmarched me down to the doctors, I was 28, married with 2 kids and had been ill for 12 years). I had mixed feelings - I was grateful to find out what was wrong but angry this had happened to me. But over the years, the support of my friends and family has been vital in my recovery and in keeping me in one piece
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

OldMike (01-07-18)