Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crochet 101.

That's brilliant Paula!

Dolly - I couldn't get it for a while either, but I was lucky enough to have someone sitting with me to start with and then I had MH at the end of a phone!
    There's only us, There's only this, Forget regret, Or life is your to miss,
    No other road, No other way, No day but today. (Rent. Jonathan Larson)

i first learnt from you tube. i miss crochet but having to wait until my wrist is better before i can take it up again.

I don't wish to brag ( what am I talking about, of course I do) but I rocked double crochet stitches today

Epic!! Well done!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Paula (28-02-14)

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    I've started having a go at crocheting a blanket today

My mum tried to teach me crochet once. I didn't get very far cos she kept whipping it out of my hands every few second to tell me I was holding it wrong. But I just couldn't hold it her way so we got nowhere and I ended up flinging it at her (I was about 13 at the time )
    Later in my early 20's I taught myself from a book and found my own way to hold it - I never really did much beyond basics though and moved on to X-stitch. Fast forward about 20 odd years and I've pretty much forgotten how to do it so I'm re-learning. Used a combi of online how-to's with pics.

I've got as far as a 4 inch granny square. The plan is to just keep going till I have a giant 'supergranny' square blankie. I have three colours. Have done my first colour change - yayyy!!
    So far so good.
    If I properly get the hang of it this time I may give those patterns of MH's a try - let's not get ahead of myself though

Woohoo! That's epic! It's how I learnt too - just by making a large granny square!

Moderator of Awesomeness magie06's Avatar
    Crochet was something that I was never able to learn. I'm left handed and when I was going to school, being left handed was something to be ashamed of. So when the teacher tried to teach me how to crochet I wasn't able to do it. Its a craft that I'd love to learn now, because its so much quicker than knitting.

I learned to crochet in Canada this year, I'm a very basic crocheter but I enjoy it and I can pick colours that I like

I have a question: I'm trying to crochet a birthday present for my step mum, it's a scarf, the first row is:

Ch 41, 3 dc in 4th chain from hook (first 3 chs count as first dc), sk next 3 chs, [(sc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch, sk next 3 chs] across, sc in last chain, turn.

My questions is I get what's said in the first set of brackets about the first 3 chs counting as first dc but what about the second set of brackets? Can anyone help???

Ok in English it means:

Chain 41. 3 x double crochet in the 4th chain back from the hook. (This = 1st double crochet)
    Skip the next 3 chains
    Then
    (single crochet, chain 3 and 3 double crochet in the next chain)
    then skip 3 chain
    Repeat from single crochet, chain 3 and 3 double crochet then skip 3 chains

Does that make sense?