Thread: Crochet 101.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mummyhill

Crochet 101.

Here's a good website with videos of crochet.

And here are the important bits from the old forum

Suzi asked me how to crochet the Granny squares I used to make my blankets so I will pop the pattern up for you but first I am going to run through basic stitches needed for this square. I hope the explanations make sense without pics cause it would take me ages to take and upload pics in correct sequence. If I had a digital cam corder I would try videoing and uploading to u tube for you but am not sure I could talk through what I was doing as I was doing it iyswim. I am right handed so will have to type it from that perspective apologies to any left hookers, I hope you can work it out from what I type.

Every crochet pattern starts with a slip knot so about 15cm from the end of your yarn loop the yarn round your thumb clockwise place thumb and 1st finger through the yarn and grab the tail of yarn and pull it through your loop. Insert your crochet hook into the loop from right to left if you then pull on the ends the yarn and the loop should tighten up over your hook. When working you can hold your hook in a similar way to holding a pencil or a knife which ever is most comfortable to you. to hold my yarn I kind of drape it across the back of my hand so that the end of the yarn attached to the ball goes between my little finger and the next one along across the other fingers to the top of my forefinger I then hold the yarn just below the slip knot between my thumb and forefinger and raise my middle finger to control the yarn. I work the yarn between the hook and my middle finger.

From the slip knot we work a foundation chain. So holding the slip knot with your left hand and keeping the yarn taught between the hook and your raised finger, push the hook forward and twist it towards you to take the hook under, behind and then over the yarn so that it wraps around the hook and catches in the slot (this is called yarn round hook). Now draw the yarn through the loop on the hook to form a new loop on the hook this is one chain stitch. Your new loop should be lose enough to draw the next one through easily. Holding the chain nearest the hook repeat until your chain is the required length.

Slip stitch Identify the chain or stitch you want to join with a slip stitch, Insert your hook from front to back under the top loop of stitch or chain, yarn round hook draw the yarn back through both loops on the hook so you are left with one loop on your hook.

Treble crochet - Insert hook as pattern directs under top loop of directed stitch or through centre of loop if working in the round, catch yarn with hook and draw through so you have 3 loops on your hook, take yarn round the hook and draw through the first 2 loops, take yarn round hook and draw through the 2 remaining loops on the hook, you should now have 1 loop on the hook and the stitch is complete.

Double crochet - Insert hook as pattern directs under top loop of directed stitch or through centre of loop if working in the round, take yarn round hook and draw the yarn back though the first loop on your hook. You should now have 2 loops on the hook, yarn round hook and draw through both loops, you should now have 1 loop and the stitch is completed.

I hope that made sense! Practise making foundation chains and making treble and double crochets into it!

I don't know where all these patterns are from. I wrote them down as I was taught to do them.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mummyhill For This Useful Post:

Aspasia (16-02-12)