Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crochet 101.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mummyhill

Crochet 101.

Here's a good website with videos of crochet.

And here are the important bits from the old forum

Suzi asked me how to crochet the Granny squares I used to make my blankets so I will pop the pattern up for you but first I am going to run through basic stitches needed for this square. I hope the explanations make sense without pics cause it would take me ages to take and upload pics in correct sequence. If I had a digital cam corder I would try videoing and uploading to u tube for you but am not sure I could talk through what I was doing as I was doing it iyswim. I am right handed so will have to type it from that perspective apologies to any left hookers, I hope you can work it out from what I type.

Every crochet pattern starts with a slip knot so about 15cm from the end of your yarn loop the yarn round your thumb clockwise place thumb and 1st finger through the yarn and grab the tail of yarn and pull it through your loop. Insert your crochet hook into the loop from right to left if you then pull on the ends the yarn and the loop should tighten up over your hook. When working you can hold your hook in a similar way to holding a pencil or a knife which ever is most comfortable to you. to hold my yarn I kind of drape it across the back of my hand so that the end of the yarn attached to the ball goes between my little finger and the next one along across the other fingers to the top of my forefinger I then hold the yarn just below the slip knot between my thumb and forefinger and raise my middle finger to control the yarn. I work the yarn between the hook and my middle finger.

From the slip knot we work a foundation chain. So holding the slip knot with your left hand and keeping the yarn taught between the hook and your raised finger, push the hook forward and twist it towards you to take the hook under, behind and then over the yarn so that it wraps around the hook and catches in the slot (this is called yarn round hook). Now draw the yarn through the loop on the hook to form a new loop on the hook this is one chain stitch. Your new loop should be lose enough to draw the next one through easily. Holding the chain nearest the hook repeat until your chain is the required length.

Slip stitch Identify the chain or stitch you want to join with a slip stitch, Insert your hook from front to back under the top loop of stitch or chain, yarn round hook draw the yarn back through both loops on the hook so you are left with one loop on your hook.

Treble crochet - Insert hook as pattern directs under top loop of directed stitch or through centre of loop if working in the round, catch yarn with hook and draw through so you have 3 loops on your hook, take yarn round the hook and draw through the first 2 loops, take yarn round hook and draw through the 2 remaining loops on the hook, you should now have 1 loop on the hook and the stitch is complete.

Double crochet - Insert hook as pattern directs under top loop of directed stitch or through centre of loop if working in the round, take yarn round hook and draw the yarn back though the first loop on your hook. You should now have 2 loops on the hook, yarn round hook and draw through both loops, you should now have 1 loop and the stitch is completed.

I hope that made sense! Practise making foundation chains and making treble and double crochets into it!

I don't know where all these patterns are from. I wrote them down as I was taught to do them.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mummyhill For This Useful Post:

Aspasia (16-02-12)

Mummyhill
    OK now for the granny square pattern!

Create 6 chain then join the ends with a slip stitch.

Foundation row - 3 chain (counts as 1st treble of the round) and then 11 trebles into the centre of the circle.

1st Row - work 3 chain and then 2 trebles into the first gap between trebles, *2 chain, 3 trebles into next gap** repeat * to ** to end and join with a slip stitch.

2nd row - work 3 chain and 2 trebles into bridge created by chain on row below, *2 chain, 3 trebles into next bridge** repeat * to ** to end and join with a slip stitch.

3rd row - work 3 chain and 2 treble into bridge, 2 chain and 3 treble into same bridge, *2 chain and 3 treble into next bridge, 2chain and 3 trebel into next bridge, 2 chain, 3 treble, 2 chain and 3 treble into the next bridge.** repeat * to ** to end and join with a slip stitch. You should now have a square.

4th row - 3 chain 2 treble and 2 chain worked into 1st bridge then 2 chain 3 treble into each bridge except for the corners where you do 3treble 2 chain and 3 treble into the same space as above. Join the end with a slip stitch and repeat this row until the work reaches the required size. Then use a row of double crochet to stiffen the edges a bit.

To end the square cut off the yarn about 10 cm from hook and draw it through the loop pulling it tight.

If you want to join squares together place the right side to right side and either sew with blanket stitch or double crochet them together.

Mummyhill
    here's a pattern using stitches you already know.

My Pattern recommends a 5mm hook.

6 Chain and join into a circle with a slip stitch.

Foundation round - 2chain and then work 15 trebles into the centre of your loop. slip stitch into top of 2 chain to join.

1st round - 3 chain (1 treble, 2 chain) 15 times slip stitch to join.

2nd round - 3 chain, 1 treble into same space (1 chain, 2 treble) into next three 2 chain spaces 3 chain *(1 chain 2 treble) into next four 2 chain spaces 3 chain. rep from * twice 1 chain slip stitch to join.

last round - 1 double crochet into each treble and chain space (working 4 double crochet into each corner chain space all round slip stitch to join and fasten off.

Mummyhill
    Ok here we go, you have the pattern for 2 squares so far

Square 3. Have you made a 3x3 square of double crochet yet? If not give it a go. Do a 3 inch chain add 2 chain to the end to turn and do a double crochet into each chain for foundation row, 2 chain to turn and continue until you have a 3 x 3 square.

Square 4. Make a 3x3 in trebles as well.

TSquare 5 lets look at half trebles.

Make a length of foundation chain, pass yarn round hook, miss 2 chain and inset hook under top 2 threads of the third chain from the hook. Pull a loop through (3loops on hook) pull a loop through all 3 loops on the hook (one loop left on hook). One half trebel has now been worked work one half treble into each chain till the end, 2 chain and turn.

Working rows. Miss 1st half treble, work 1 half treble into the 2 top threads of each half treble to end, 2 chain and turn. repeat till you have your 3x3 square.

Mummyhill
    Square 6

Next stitch double treble or long treble.

Again make a 3x3 square to practice and get the hang of this stitch.

Make your chain. pass yarn twice round the hook and insert the hook into the 4th link of the chain from your hook. pull a loop through (4 loops on hook) pull yarn through 2 loops (3 left on hook) pull yarn through 2 loops (2 left on hook) pull yarn through remaining 2 loops (1 left on hook). Put a double treble into each link of your chain to the end, 3 chain and turn miss the 1st double treble and work double trebles into the tops of the rest in the row 2 chain and turn. Remember the turning chain represents a treble and must be worked in at the end of the following row to keep a straight edge!

Mummyhill
    Blocks and spaces

2 or 3 treble worked over 2 or 3 chain is reffered to a block. 2 or 3 chain followed by 1 treble passing over a block is reffered to as a space. Remember that turning chain of previous row always counts as the last stitch to be worked into on the next row.

Square 7

make 22 chain.

1st row - 1 treble into 3rd chain from hook, 1 treble into next chain * 3chain miss 3chain of foundation, 1 treble into each of next 3 foundation chain, repeat from * twice, 3 chain and turn.

2nd row - Miss 1st treble, 1 treble into each of next 2 trebles,* 3 treble into 3 chain space, 3 chain miss 3 treble, repeat from * once 3 treble into 3 chain space, 2 treble into last 2 treble, 1 treble into top of turning chain. 3 chain and turn.

3rd row - Miss 1st treble, 1 treble into each of next 2 trebles * 3 chain, miss 3 treble, 3 treble into 3 chain space repeat from* once 3chain, 2 trebleinto last 2 trebles and 1 treble into top loop of turning chain, 3 chain and turn.

repeat 2nd and 3rd rows for pattern till work measures 3x3!

Square 8

Make 21 chain

1st row - 1 treble into 3rd chain from hook 1 treble into each remaining chain, 3chain turn (20 trebles in total).

2nd row - miss 1st treble, 1 treble into each of next 2 trebles (2chain, miss 2 treble 1 treble into next treble) 4 times 2 chain, miss 2 trebles 1 treble into each of last 3 trebles, 3chain and turn.

3rd row - Miss 1st treble, 1 treble into each of the next 2 trebles (2 chain, miss 1 space , 3 trebles into next space) twice, 2 chain miss 1 space 1 treble into each of the last 3 trebles, 3 chain andf turn.

4th row - miss 1st treble, 1 treble into each of next 2 trebles, 2 chain, miss 1 space,1 teble into 1st treble of block, 2 chain,miss 2 treble, 3 treble into next space, 2 chain, miss 2 treble, 1 treble into 3rd treble of block, 2 chain, miss 1 space, 1 treble into each of last 3 trebles.

5th row - as 3rd row

6th row - Miss 1st treble, 1 treble into each of next 2 treble(2chain miss 1 space, 1 treble into 1st treble of block, 2 chain 1 treble into 3rd treble of block) twice, 2 chain miss 1 space 1 teble into each of last 3 trebles.

7th row - Work 1 treble into each treble and 2 trebles into each space all the way across and fasten off.

Mummyhill
    Square 9
    Open Mesh
    Make foundation chain in multiples of 3 plus 2 extra for the turn to make the required size.
    1st row (1treble., 3 chain., 1 treble into the 5th chain from your hook, *miss 2 chain (1 treble, 3 chain, 1 treble into next chain., repeat from * ending with 1 treble into the last chain then 3 chain to turn.
    2nd Row (1 treble, 3 chain, 1 treble into each of the 3 chain loops of the previous row ending with a treble in the top of the turning chain 3 chain to turn.
    Repeat 2nd row for pattern till required length is achieved.

Mummyhill
    Gets a bit more complicated now so I will try to alternate a complex one with a slightly easier one for you to try.

Square 9
    Open Mesh
    Make foundation chain in multiples of 3 plus 2 extra for the turn to make the required size.
    1st row (1treble., 3 chain., 1 treble into the 5th chain from your hook, *miss 2 chain (1 treble, 3 chain, 1 treble into next chain., repeat from * ending with 1 treble into the last chain then 3 chain to turn.
    2nd Row (1 treble, 3 chain, 1 treble into each of the 3 chain loops of the previous row ending with a treble in the top of the turning chain 3 chain to turn.
    Repeat 2nd row for pattern till required length is achieved.

Square 10
    Shell Pattern 1
    Make a foundation chain in multiples of 6 plus five extra at the end to required length.
    1st Row (1 treble 3 chain 1 trebel into 5th chain from hook. * miss 2 chain (1 treble 3 chain 1 treble) into next chain. Repeat from * ending with 1 treble into last chain, 3 chain and turn.
    2nd row - *5 treble into 1st chain space, 1 double crochet into next chain space, repeat from * ending with 1 treble into turning chain, 3 chain and turn.
    3rd Row – *(1 treble, 3 chain, 1 treble) into 1st double crochet, (1 trebel, 3 chain, 1 treble into centre of 5 treble, rep from * ending with 1 treble into turning chain, 3 chain and turn.
    4th row - * 1 double crochet into 1st chain space, 5 treble into next chain space, rep from * ending 1 double crochet into top of turning chain, 3 chain and turn.
    5th row - * (1 treble, 3chain, 1 treble) into centre of 5 treble ( 1 treble, 3 chain 1 treble) into next double crochet. Repeat from * ending with 1 treble into turning chain. 3 chain and turn.
    Repeat rows 2 to 5 for pattern till you reach required size.

Mummyhill
    Made me smile to see this thread it seems like a lifetime ago that I created it. Please feel free to ask questions about crochet, knitting or anything else crafty and I will do my best to answer you.