Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing your own veg

Trying hard
    oh my youngest loves planting and growing things but we seem to have a big issue with soil. Where we are now is only a 2 year old build and used to be flats before the house was built. We dont seem to have much soil it seems very stoney.

Not sure what it is but we start the plants in plant post in the house and when they have started to grow well we plant the outside using the same compost that we planted them with indoors but they seem to still die within an week or 2 outside. not sure what we are doing wrong

I'd plant in pots until I worked out what it is, but then I'm a rubbish gardener! I love it, but I'm just not very good at it.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Sadly on a lot of new builds the builders leave the rubble and then put a bare amount of soil over it and then grass, its a case of either digging out the rubble or maybe having raised beds.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

Hugo-agogo
    My dad does very well growing veg like courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes and spinach just using cheap plastic planters, or troughs I think they're also called.

Trying hard
    yeah think thats the case Angie think its bare top soil. may have to make a project of making raised beds for the plants with the youngest.

Does he grow them right the way to he fruit in the planters Hugo?

Hugo-agogo
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying hard View Post
    Does he grow them right the way to he fruit in the planters Hugo?
    He does, the planters were toppling over with the weight and he used sticks and string to hold them up!

Wilkos do tomato, strawberry and potato bags that work well for me. I've tomatoes, peppers and chillis, sweetcorn, beans, cucumbers, squash dahlias, lilies and sunflowers in them and never had them topple over. They're not the most attractive and there's *some* danger of them drying out (but if you fill them properly with soil there's usually enough in there to keep the moisture in), but they do the job and they're dirt cheap.

raised beds will look better and be more of a project though, but might be an idea for starting things off before the beds are finished

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Scientist For This Useful Post:

Suzi (20-06-16)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Thought would add this here as your saving money by not having to buy again once you get enough growing

https://www.buzzfeed.com/caroltan/he...egetables-agai
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

OldMike (11-12-16),Suzi (11-12-16)

Good idea Angie.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"