Page 13 of 124 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety & Depression Hell..*TRIGGERS*

Can you schedule stuff in during the week to make things easier for yourself...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

SA89
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Can you schedule stuff in during the week to make things easier for yourself...
    I'm workin on it.. Sat-Mon is not so bad 'caus those are the days I'm around people (however temporary) via voluntary & work. My mum & her friends keep tellin me to 'Do something about it!' & to 'Get out there!' which I agree would help but I find it really disheartening knowing how alone I feel all the time without a clear path. Its a struggle to shake off years & years of isolation/worry. I've applied for countless jobs as an escape route but nothing. Woe is me I know .. My counselling assessment is on the 25th & thn I'm back on a waiting list to see some1.

The future looks so bleak right now. No friends, no prospects ..

Oh yeah the "do something about it" comments.... If only it was that easy huh?

SA89
    I wish it were.. I think with depression its hard to pinpoint what it is exactly that we need to 'do something about' because we're clouded by such misery. I know that I need to fit in to form friendships & to figure out a career so its a collection of issues really. I just get overwhelmed tbh 'caus for every step forward theirs a step back. At work its like being at a party where I'm not invited knowing I struggle to fit in. That deep rooted loneliness follows me wherever I go & theirs just no relief watsoever..

Stupid thought, but have you ever written a list of the things you want to change? Not as in "everything" or "me" but more specific.. So on mine would be "lose weight sensibly" and "sort out the yarn piles in the front room".... Things that when set out so they are broken down are actually clearer and so I they are things that aren't so huge, that I might actually challenge..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

SA89
    Do u mean a long term list or for every small target?. I think I have in the past & I did feel a bit satisfied as I ticked each 1 off. Mines more long term though I think like 'make plans with friends at work', 'plan a career'. I'm def more sociable at work but thy're still just acquaintances really. It feels impossible to simply just be content. In my mind I'm constantly sayin to myself 'if I just had a gf & a career I'm interested in everythin will be alright, I will be free of loneliness'. But I'm just going round in circles! ..

With your career, do you know what you want to do? If not, its going to be pretty tricky to find it.
    If you DO know, you could write a list of things you could do to help with the career.
    Qualifications, work experience, volunteering, even a job in the same sector to get you an 'in'.
    The goal of getting a career is so huge, it would be very difficult to just do it overnight, does that make sense?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rose For This Useful Post:

amaeru (12-07-14)

Those are massive goals.. You need to break it down so much more.. so you could have "sit with other people at lunch 1ce a month" to start with or "look at the volunteer website" etc... Really small chunks to make a big target is so much more satisfying as it's achievable..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

I agree with everyone, you can have an aim of getting to that point. For instance, getting a career. You need to start by looking at your skills and training. Then look at what you'd like to do, and work out if your skillset matches your aim. If not, how can you gain those skills (study perhaps) and so on. 'Getting a career' as the long term aim is brilliant, but is never going to happen if you don't split it down into manageable chunks. It's a bit like a steak - your goal of eating it is fab but you still have to cut it up into mouth sized chunks
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

amaeru (13-07-14)

Excellent analogy there love!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Paula (13-07-14)