Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medication Review: Quetiapine

Medication Review: Quetiapine

Name of medication: Quetiapine
    Also known as: Seroquel
    Type: Antipsychotic
    Available as immediate-release and prolonged-release

Link to patient information: http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/quetiapine

**Please note all following information is based on individual members experiences.
    **Any side effects or any questions should ALWAYS be directed to your own medical team.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rose For This Useful Post:

I take 50mg of immediate-release quetiapine at night. From the first dose, it had the immediate effect of calming down my obsessive thoughts and allowing me to sleep deeply.
    Over time my obsessive thoughts have calmed down overall and I know I can usually get a good night's sleep, without feeling groggy the next day.
    I take this in conjunction with 60mg Fluoxetine.
    I have found this medicine hugely beneficial.

Eden
    I was very sensitive to Seroquel. I took the 25mg Immediate release and it knocked me out flat. I was sleeping 16+ hours. Then when I did wake up I was left dazed and confused. One day I woke up and thought I was in China. I went down to 12.5mg and i was still sleeping 14-16hours. I've read a journal that has linked prolonged use to memory loss, but it was a very small percentage.

But like I say all the Nurses said I was unusually sensitive to it.

Noel
    i have started quetiapine and was looking for a revue . I started a few months ago but stopped it because i felt so tired and drained and couldn't go to work . Since then i have had to quit my job because my moods have nose dived . Now i want to give quetiapine another try . I am hoping it will help me in the long run . I have been treated for depression for nearly 20 years and last year was diagnosed as bipolar 2 .

Noel, hi and welcome. Have you re started quetiapine after speaking to your doctor?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Hi Noel, were you on immediate or prolonged release? Welcome to DWD.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rose For This Useful Post:

Hi and welcome.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Noel
    Hi all thanks for the welcome , I should of been taking quetiapine the last few months as prescribed by doctor , but stupidly went against his advice because of work which involves driving . I was very drowzy so stopped taking them . Now i have had to quit job so am starting them again as the doctor prescribed . The packet doesn't say prolonged release so i am assuming they are immediate release . I am taking 50mg at night at the moment and i have been told to steadily increase up to 150mg .

john d
    I had a short lived experience with quietiapine.it knocked me out but then kept me awake with the old restless legs if that makes sense.but we are all different so good luck with it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to john d For This Useful Post:

Hi Noel, I take 50mg immediate-release Quetiapine at bedtime to help me sleep, in conjunction with an antidepressant. As long as I don't take the Quetiapine too late, I don't have much trouble getting up in the morning.
    If 150mg is making you too drowsy to work, perhaps you could ask the GP if combining with an antidepressant would be suitable for you, or switching to the prolonged-release?

I have found that the Quetiapine has been amazing at quietening down all the 'noise' in my head, even at such a low dose.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rose For This Useful Post: