Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music thread

Diablo

Hildegard von Bingen: O pastor animarum

Plainsong. Definitely an acquired taste. To me it seems timeless.

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179) was a German nun (She was the tenth child in the family; the number ten in the middle ages was considered 'perfect', so she had to be sent to church to become a nun!) She wrote religious poetry set to music. It resembled the Gregorian chant, but was highly original and never drew from existing repertory. She also wrote a morality play "The Play of the virtues". Hildegard compiled a book of liturgical songs entitled "Symphonia armoniae celestium revelationum".

This particular chant however is called "O pastor animarum" (O Shepherd of Souls). The chant had an important part to play in later music, when it was used as the foundation of structures of greater complexity.

Oxford Camerata
    Jeremy Summerly

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diablo For This Useful Post:

amaeru (10-03-14)

EJ
    There is so much good classical music around at the moment with the run up to Easter. Locally we have a choir performing the St John Passion Bach. I am going to sing in a performance of Requiem by John Rutter. Also being performed locally is Stainers Crucifixion but it does go on a bit and is a little repetitive but plenty of people like it. Brahms Requiem is fast approaching too on 5th April.

Mira
    Thats amazing. And it must be great to sing in such a performance. I bet it will sound superb.

I love classical music. I am a amateur though and I find it hard to find where to start.

So beautiful Elizabeth!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Diablo

Handels Messiah I Know That My Redeemer Liveth

Sylvia McNair, The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner performing I Know That My Redeemer Liveth.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diablo For This Useful Post:

amaeru (10-03-14),Suzi (10-03-14)

EJ
    I have sung this for somebody's funeral. It was somebody I knew so it was very difficult.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EJ For This Useful Post:

Diablo

"Be Thou My Vision" by Eden's Bridge

Fire glowed against the visage of St. Patrick as he lit yet another candle in the dark Irish churchyard on Slane Hill. The fire reminded him of Christ, Redeemer and light of his life.

Opposite the churchyard was Tara, where resided the pagan High King Lķegaire-- the man who outlawed candles in Ireland. But it was the eve of Easter, 433 A.D. and St. Patrick was determined to glorify God that night.

And thus began the hymn.

"Therefore, on that day when I was rebuked, as I have just mentioned, I saw in a vision of the night a document before my face, without honour, and meanwhile I heard a divine prophecy, saying to me: 'We have seen with displeasure the face of the chosen one divested of name.' And he did not say 'You have seen with displeasure', but 'We have seen with displeasure' (as if He included Himself) . He said then: 'He who touches you, touches the apple of my eye.'"

-- Saint Patrick

Camille Saint-Saëns - Danse Macabre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to purplefan For This Useful Post:

no matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites all
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

EJ
    I am listening to Mahlers Symphony no 3 in D minor. It is not something that I know but it has been worth the listen. Now choral evensong and the ironing