Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DWD Recipe Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post DWD Recipe Thread

This was one of my favourite threads on the old forum so I thought I'd start it back off again... plus I promised Mara my scone recipe!

So to kick us off, here is a recipe for:

Very Best Scones

(note - they don't have to be heart-shaped, these are just like that because I made them for Valentine's Day!)

Ingredients

450g (1lb) self-raising flour
    2 rounded teaspoons of baking powder
    75g (3oz) softened butter
    50g (2oz) caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    about 225ml (8 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
    OPTIONAL: 200-250g fruit e.g. cherries or sultanas (in the pic I used cherries)

Instructions

1> Preheat the oven to 220*C/Fan 160*C/Gas 7. Lightly grease two baking trays.

2> Measure flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Mix in the fruit, if using any.

3> Beat the eggs together and make up to a generous 300ml (1/2 pint) with the milk. Put approx 2 tablespoons of the liquid aside for later. Gradually add the mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring all the time, until you have a soft wet dough which sticks to your fingers.

4> Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a thickness of 1 - 2 cm (1/2 - 3/4 in). Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out the scones. Gently push the remaining dough together, knead lightly then re-roll and cut more.

5> Arrange the scones on the greased baking trays. Lightly brush the top with the left-over egg/milk mix to glaze. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes, until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cook.

Tips

• Make sure the baking trays are greased pretty lightly, or the bottom of the scone will be over-done/burnt.
    • If you only have one baking tray (like me) it doesn't hurt the mix to be cut into shapes and left on a plate in the fridge while the first batch bakes.
    • Try running your fingers under the cold tap before rubbing in - it makes them a bit numb but means the heat of your hands melts the butter less!
    • The mixture is better on the wet/sticky side as it will rise better (but is harder to work with I know!)
    • Use a fluted cutter if you have one, and lift the scones straight out of the dough without twisting - this makes them keep their shape better/rise evenly.
    • While cooling on a wire rack, cover the scones with a clean moist tea-towel to keep them moist.
    • These can be frozen as soon as completely cool. Thaw at room temp and then refresh in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes when you want them!
    • This recipe should make about 20 scones.

If anyone follows this recipe please let me know the results! I think they are the best scones I've ever made, and possibly even ever tasted!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aspasia For This Useful Post:

MaraUT (16-02-12),Suzi (02-04-12),veggie (09-04-12)

Retired Viking, holder of the cape of spangly awesomeness & holder of the amulet of knowledge of the magic bourbon biscuits Emmie's Avatar
    Suagr Free Butter free flapjacks

I searched high and low for a recipe that would satisfy my 'all natural' 'non-refined' desires, we made this this morning and oh my but they are lush! Sweet, chewy, hold together well, they don't taste quite as nindulgent as the buttery sugary ones but they are stiill very lovely and vaguely healthy too! The recipe makes 16 nicely sized slice at 3 weight watchers pro points per slice (or 5 for two!)

175g oats (I used tesco value)
    85g no added sugar muesli (I used tesco value as it was cheap, had no sugar or, I think, salt and no milk!)
    150g dried fruit mixture
    3 tbsp (45ml) honey, clear or set
    2 egg whites
    175ml apple juice

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c
    2. Combine the oats, muesli and dried fruit in a bowl
    3.Warm the honey in a small saucepan until it is runny. Add to the bowl.
    4. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
    5. Press the remaining mixture into a lightly oiled (I rubbed with a little vitalite which did the trick) 18x28cm (7x11in) baking tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. When cool cut into bars.
    I had to leave them bum up on a baking try for a little while to dry out a bit after I got them out the tin as I thought they might stick together in the box otherwise!

Im now on the hunt for an egg yolk recipe! I found one for mayonnaise but it work out at 4 ww propoints for tablespoon *faints*
    Mara: Sometimes you're the cart, sometimes you're the horse...
    Me: Sometimes you're lying in the cart with a cold compress on your forehead...

Deservedly declared winner of Quiz 33 and taking bragging rights of that seriously.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emmie For This Useful Post:

amaeru (19-06-13),Aspasia (02-04-12),Suzi (02-04-12),veggie (09-04-12)

Looks great! Hun, I know somewhere you posted the beer bread recipe, but I can't find it. Can you repost it here please?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Retired Viking, holder of the cape of spangly awesomeness & holder of the amulet of knowledge of the magic bourbon biscuits Emmie's Avatar
    I shall attempt to find it *searches* Ok completely nicked from another forum (with the op's comments in brackets):

Beer Bread

The recipe I used was:

3 cups SR flour,
    3 tbsp sugar (although I used less than that)
    1 bottle of beer (I used cheap stuff, and a bit less than a whole bottle)

Mix it all together (it's a bit runny and sticky),
    Put it in a tin (I presume a loaf tin, but I couldn't find mine so used a round cake tin.
    bake for 50-60 mins at 175 (we have fan oven so it was 160 ish).

Apparantly you can use any fizzy drink, so lemonade, diet lemonade that kind of thing!

Deservedly declared winner of Quiz 33 and taking bragging rights of that seriously.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie For This Useful Post:

Suzi (02-04-12),veggie (09-04-12)

Thank you hunni!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Fay
    Hi
    I love sharing recipes as I love cooking - I make carrot cake muffins this week and they disappeared very quickly ... LOL!
    I started a FB page called "Look what I made today" - you are more than welcome to "like" the page and join in on sharing your lovely recipes
    I hope this link works: https://www.facebook.com/PleasantRecipes?ref=tn_tnmn

Hope to see you on there

Fay

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fay For This Useful Post:

veggie (09-04-12)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Pea and ham Soup

I dont use ham in this I use bacon, it can be any type of bacon you want aslong as it is smoked bacon, I use lean smoked back bacon and cut all the fat off.
    Also as there is no dairy in this recipe everyone can do it.

Also when cooking the peas I cook them until there is no water left in them they are not dry but not liquid, you can always thin this soup down easier than thickening it up and I love it really thick.

1 packet of dried quick soak peas
    1 large onion
    2 medium potatoes
    1 pack of smoked bacon

Soak the peas as per the instruction and cook as per the instruction but I dont put salt in
    peal and chop the onion and chop the bacon and fry until the onions are soft and the bacon slightly crispy
    peal cube the potatoes and boil until soft.

Once the peas and other ingredients are cooked through blend until nearly smooth, I make mine really thick but you can loosen it up with some water,
    also you can leave a bit of the bacon out and once the soup is blended mix the bacon in.
    Taste and only add salt if needed though with the bacon being smoked it shouldnt need it.

This freezes really well and making big batches gives a nice winter warmer
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    cappuccino

ok I know a few are intolerent and allergic to milk but use any substitute here that you are able to aslong as it is liquid and can be heated up

granulated coffee
    sugar to taste
    boiling water
    and milk/milk substitute
    A pan
    and a jug blender must be fairly heat resistant

Put coffee and sugar in a mug, while the kettle is boiling heat up the milk so it is hot but not boiling, pour the boiling water into the mug until it is a quarter full and stir well
    Put the milk in the blender and be careful for it splashing as its hot and blend until really frothy.
    Once frothed up holding the froth back with a spoon pour the milk onto the coffee, stir and then using a spoon, spoon the froth on the top and then sprinkle some cocoa powder on the top if able to use it.

Its a cheaper alternative to buying cappuccino sachets and just as good.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    Knew I'd seen a recipe thread somewhere
    Emmie those flapjacks sound awesome - I'll definitely have to try those

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Emmie (19-06-13)

Quote Originally Posted by amaeru View Post
    Emmie those flapjacks sound awesome
    Very awesome! My recipe book is being a haven of gorgeousness, actually that's a lie, the bit of my shelf with lots of pieces of paper ont hat I need to transfer to a book is a haven of gorgeousness, I'll try to add more as most are relatively healthy too :-)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie For This Useful Post:

amaeru (19-06-13)