Thread: DWD Recipe Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post DWD Recipe Thread

This was one of my favourite threads on the old forum so I thought I'd start it back off again... plus I promised Mara my scone recipe!

So to kick us off, here is a recipe for:

Very Best Scones

(note - they don't have to be heart-shaped, these are just like that because I made them for Valentine's Day!)

Ingredients

450g (1lb) self-raising flour
    2 rounded teaspoons of baking powder
    75g (3oz) softened butter
    50g (2oz) caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    about 225ml (8 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
    OPTIONAL: 200-250g fruit e.g. cherries or sultanas (in the pic I used cherries)

Instructions

1> Preheat the oven to 220*C/Fan 160*C/Gas 7. Lightly grease two baking trays.

2> Measure flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Mix in the fruit, if using any.

3> Beat the eggs together and make up to a generous 300ml (1/2 pint) with the milk. Put approx 2 tablespoons of the liquid aside for later. Gradually add the mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring all the time, until you have a soft wet dough which sticks to your fingers.

4> Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a thickness of 1 - 2 cm (1/2 - 3/4 in). Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out the scones. Gently push the remaining dough together, knead lightly then re-roll and cut more.

5> Arrange the scones on the greased baking trays. Lightly brush the top with the left-over egg/milk mix to glaze. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes, until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cook.

Tips

• Make sure the baking trays are greased pretty lightly, or the bottom of the scone will be over-done/burnt.
    • If you only have one baking tray (like me) it doesn't hurt the mix to be cut into shapes and left on a plate in the fridge while the first batch bakes.
    • Try running your fingers under the cold tap before rubbing in - it makes them a bit numb but means the heat of your hands melts the butter less!
    • The mixture is better on the wet/sticky side as it will rise better (but is harder to work with I know!)
    • Use a fluted cutter if you have one, and lift the scones straight out of the dough without twisting - this makes them keep their shape better/rise evenly.
    • While cooling on a wire rack, cover the scones with a clean moist tea-towel to keep them moist.
    • These can be frozen as soon as completely cool. Thaw at room temp and then refresh in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes when you want them!
    • This recipe should make about 20 scones.

If anyone follows this recipe please let me know the results! I think they are the best scones I've ever made, and possibly even ever tasted!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aspasia For This Useful Post:

MaraUT (16-02-12),Suzi (02-04-12),veggie (09-04-12)