Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medication Review: Lithium

I second that. I had food poisoning recently and it took far longer than it should for me to recover
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Eden
    I've been on Lithium Carbonate for a year now I've had it in combination with all sorts. The thing is I was only prescribed the quick release version, and I take 500mg at night. Doesn't make a lot of sense really. So in the late afternoon when I take my 500mg it can pull myself together. So It definitely helps me out in the evening, but by the time I've woken up the next day its out of my system. So I've never actually tried lithium properly, and I have no idea why I'm not taking some in the morning.

Sometimes I have had it make me very anhedonic, but that was when I was just starting on it. But yeah it's a pretty useful drug, as someone said earlier Lithium is used to augment with Anti-depressants. I have read some of the reports and in one report 63% of patients stated that they had benefited from Lithium with an anti-depressant.

I'm on 1200mg ....
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

EJ
    I'm still taking lithium and I owe it for keeping me well. It is a life line. It has an impressive list of side effects but with careful monitoring it can be very useful for a number of people like me who are not bi-polar but have severe recurrent or treatment resistant depression. It is not usually given as a first line treatment. It can take a while to achieve the full benefit from it.

EJ
    Hi all. I went out to Norfolk yesterday to visit an Arts and Crafts style house and garden. They were grade 1 listed. I had real problems keeping hydrated yesterday. Apart from drinking plenty of water as soon as I had the beginnings of a headache I took paracetamol. I felt a bit sicky so around 6.pm I had a snack of some fruit and a piece of cake. Having something to eat, the water and the paracetamol helped stave off any bad lithium side effects. We stopped at a service station on the way home and I bought another bottle of water which kept me going until I got home. My sister who does not take lithium buys the child size bottles of water and drunk one of them. She then wonders why her ankles swell and she feels tired? I didn't need to use the coach loo but I would have done if the need had arisen.

EJ
    Not sure why I'm updating this but it is important to keep taking this medication as it really does work. It is the gold standard for peeps with Bipolar illness. Saying that it is important not to allow the prescription to run out. I think in an emergency a pharmacy with allow you to have a few tablets so long as you are registered with them. It is important to have the three monthly lithium blood test as thyroid, liver and kidney function as checked too. Also electrolytes might be tested too.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EJ For This Useful Post:

magie06 (24-02-17),OldMike (24-02-17),rose (23-02-17),Suzi (23-02-17)