Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medication Review: Venlafaxine

Medication Review: Venlafaxine

Name of medication: Venlafaxine

Link to patient information: http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/venlafaxine

**Please note all following information is based on individual members experiences.
    **Any side effects or any questions should ALWAYS be directed to your own medical team.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

AjaxKM
    Ive been on Venlafaxine for a long while now and it will be a cold day in hell before they take it away helps me function and has kept me alive. It does make me sleepy and pretty vacant at times but better zombie than suicidal

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AjaxKM For This Useful Post:

sidiam (24-11-13),Suzi (22-11-13)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I am on Venlafaxine at the minute and the doses are still being worked out, have also had Mirtazapine added to work along side this,
    I do get tired and lethargic on it and also a horrible taste in my mouth its a case of wait and see if this does work and help
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

sidiam (24-11-13),Suzi (22-11-13)

This was the first ever ad I was out on for my depression around 13 years ago. I had a severe reaction to it as it made me sick within an hour of taking it so I was taken off it immediately. Only ad I have ever reacted that way to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nita For This Useful Post:

Suzi (22-11-13)

Nita, my friend had a similar reaction to venlafaxine and suffered hallucinations. I, however, have been on it for many years - although had a brief period without it - (currently at 375mg) and it's been fantastic for me. I don't have any side effects but I will say that coming off venlafaxine is very difficult. Doing this too quickly can cause dreadful side effects in my experience (extreme Dizziness, vomiting, fainting etc) so needs to be done under careful medical supervision. While this sounds scary, if it works for you it's a very effective drug.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Nita (24-11-13),sidiam (24-11-13),Suzi (23-11-13)

i have been on venalfaxine now for over two years and it seems to be the best for me although it took me a very long time to get the dosage right and the form (it comes in a quick release and slow release) and the time of day i take it. but i permitted and i am now glad i am on it. i was on this about 11 yrs ago i remember it being horrible coming off it and i really didn't want to take it again but my psych convinced me that as long as i reduce the dose very very slowly at the right time then i will be ok. i am now taking 225mg of XL. when i was at my worse i was on 375mg. so i am pleased with my progress of reducing it. i have only been able to reduce by 37.5mg every few months and sometimes the psych doesn't let me reduce for ages. it is very difficult to come off but without having been on it in the first place i dread to think the state i would be in now. i think fatigue seems to be a very common side effect amongst us all. this is my main one but at least i don't suffer the horrific brain zaps as much now as a few months back which were really bothersome.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:

sidiam (24-11-13)

Mummyhill
    Venlafaxine worked really well for me and I was much more stable on it I did constantly have a dry mouth when on it but it was an inconvenience rather than a major problem. It did make me feel lethargic as well but again compared to the way I was feeling before I started on it this was an inconvenience. Everyone could tell if I had missed a dose and it seemed to put me back by about a fortnight when I missed a dose. Coming off it cold turkey as I was pregnant at the time was horrendous though I had headaches and brain zaps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummyhill For This Useful Post:

Suzi (25-11-13)

Eden
    I was on Venlafaxine for a year. It did not help me at all. I was at 225mg for the most part. When they increased it to 300mg I started sweating buckets, and I went to the local Health Campus a few times and my temperature was always above 39ºC. The side effects outweighed the effectiveness, I have yet to find an anti-depressant that even works.

All ADs work differently for different people, and my experience of venlafaxine is very positive (I'm on 375mg)
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I know that there are a lot of members here that have been helped tremendously by Venlafaxine, its always important to remember that while one Anti depressent might not work for one person it will work for another person, everyone is different and reacts in their own way to medication
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Suzi (26-04-14)