Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medication Review: Amitriptyline

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Medication Review: Amitriptyline

Name of medication: Amitriptyline

Link to patient information: http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/amitriptyline

**Please note all following information is based on individual members experiences.
    **Any side effects or any questions should ALWAYS be directed to your own medical team.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I take Ami, for pain. It helps with sleep which in turn has helped some of my pain. Side effects for me have been dry mouth, sleepiness and finding it hard to get up in the morning after an increase in dose.
    The once I had to stop it cold turkey (for an operation under medical directions) I couldn't sleep at all and felt "buzzing" for 3 days. It was not a pleasant experience at all and that was on a low dose of 30mg a night.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I had this for pain years and years ago and it didnt help which at the time I knew it wouldnt but as the doctors wanted me to try it I did.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Suzi (23-11-13)

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    Its helped reduce my tramadol requirements as in I have taken less tramadol only for pain spikes now. The dry mouth I get especially first thing in the morning, I have found I drink alot more liquids than before. I am on a 75mg dose everynight and it does take me a while to wake up and be human in the morning to an extent when I ban myself from driving till 10am for safety. As for depression medication I seem to be running ok on it I certainly noticed an improvement from coming off citalipram as that comming off was very hard.
    Last edited by Jarre; 23-11-13 at 10:44 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarre For This Useful Post:

Suzi (23-11-13)

I'm on 125mg Amitriptyline, soon to be increased to 150mg. I take it as an anti-depressant, along with others, and for pain relief. I too suffer from a dry mouth and need to drink more. I was told by my GP a couple of days ago that it causes bladder retention, which can be helpful if you have a problem in that area, but you need to seek medical help immediately if you stop urinating completely (hence the dry mouth). As an anti-depressant, although I'm still not at the required dose, I haven't crashed yet from the change from mirtazapine I was taking for many years so it is working. I'm a little weepy but, as I've said, I'm not at my required dose yet. It has offered some respite from the pain I am suffering, but that didn't happen until I was up to 100mg.

I initially suffered drowsiness in the morning, but my GP recommended I take it a couple of hours before going to bed, rather than at bedtime, and this instantly helped. I have not noticed any other side effects to date.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (23-11-13)

It's also used to help IBS I take mine at 9pm and need to be in bed around 11 or I find that I'm up a lot during the night..

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I know it has helped my mother with her pain and helps her to sleep, but to be honest there are extremely few tablets that work for me with pain.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Suzi (26-11-13)

burne-staines
    I take 25mg and I find it it doesn't help me sleep anymore, I asked my doctor about increasing the dose and he told me to leave it longer, its been over 6 months and it helped me sleep at first and helped with the depression but now im still up several times a night so need to find another way to help me sleep

13. The Following User Says Thank You to burne-staines For This Useful Post:

Suzi (26-11-13)

Ive just started taking this. i am only on 10mg it did not help me sleep last night, but it was the first time so i guess i have to give it a bit of time.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

Did you take it an hour before you went to bed?