Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amaeru and Knowlesy's Eat well on a budget thread

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    That's true - had a neighbour at old house who used to keep chicken on their allotment. We used to get some of our eggs form them before the upped stix for 'the Good Life' in rural Wales.
    Those eggs were amazing - soooooo fresh

knowlesy
    That "organic" fad annoys me- all eggs were like those, veg etc when I was a kid. Now cant afford it for stuff thats reared & grown normally.

And you hardly see locally grown produce any more. REplaced by ersatz 'farmer's markets'
    Once you used to be able to pick up locally grown produce from the gate by the side of the road on our country lanes - EC regulations put a stop to much of that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Some farms have farm shops
    but its another reason i want the allotment so that can grow organic without paying through the nose for it
    If you canít fly, then run, if you canít run, then walk, if you canít walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

knowlesy
    Sadly though lots dont have the time,ability or money for one. Thats why we thought wed do a budget thread.
    Sometimes have to eat rubbish but can make it tastier. The meal planner is a good idea but cant do it if some of the food I get is on clearance. I got 2 trays of clearance king prawns for £2 & didnt have a lot to go with it. So I kept them, bought some lettuce, half a cucumber, already had mayo & ketchup. Got a sharwoods szechuan sauce for a pound-ish, baby corns £1 all the tomatoes, peppers etc added up but were used on most of meals or frozen. Onions last ages if dry so had plenty in. Made a prawn cocktail (mixing the mayo & ketchup for seafood sauce- cheapest ones). Adding some lemon juice & paprika am brought. Leetuce & cucumber. Was way bigger, cheaper & as tasty as a restaurant one. Next day marinated prawns in chilli, lemon, paprika, garlic, 5 spice, ginger & salt. Got some egg noodles & made szechuan (sweet,sour & spicy (not fiery) Was Very good. Those prawns not on clearance would have cost more than the restcombined & wouldnt have been able to do it otherwise. Beats chips, pizza or takeaway.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knowlesy For This Useful Post:

amaeru (07-07-13),Miss Molly (23-03-14)

It certainly does - both those meals were generous portions and really tasty - Awesome
    He's a great cook ladies and gents - lucky me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Lucky you! Sounds amazing K!
    Please always remember that I am always right. I have a framed certificate to prove it.

When in doubt, stop and think... WWSS? (What Would Suzi Say?)
    For more info please see
    THIS thread

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

knowlesy
    Was going for tips not recipes- the 2nd meal can have all veg, tofu, chicken etc. Its about adapting things as you go. Its a bit pricey getting all the bits but can make totally different meals with same basic ingredients but using different herbs, spices & sauces. Works out much cheaper in long run. Eg bag of curry powder/masala & some chopped tommies or yoghurt can make different & loads of curries. C

such a fabulous thread. i love it and the ideas are great to share.
    since i started slimming world back in November my meal plans have changed and shopping trips have as well. the only down side is i am spending far much more on food because lets face it healthy food is far more expensive than non healthy. however i have cut down loads on bread, cheese and processed food. the advantage is that i have been cooking loads more from scatch and hardly have that much processed food in. the odd vegi burger in the freezer but that healthy. suzi i know what you mean about the price of quorn. i use the mince and like to cook vegi pasta bake or lasagna or a chili with it. slimming world advice to only use meat with very little fat on so i have cut down on mince meat as lean meat is v expensive. i make chicken one a week. i also make my own sauces for everything. a supply of value canned tomatoes and pasta is a must in my cupboard. and i like to well season chicken with herbs and spices. i like to make fish once a week, usually salmon but the price of fish is shocking. Tesco and sainsbury do sell value fresh salmon in the fridges which i have bought if no offers on at the counter. i use to drink lots of fresh juice but i have stopped that. i buy cordial which is on offer and i do buy coke if reasonably priced. i do buy fresh and frozen Veg. fresh will be the onions and salad ingredients, potatoes and sweet potatoes. frozen for peas, beans, mixed Veg, etc. i make alot of soup and i find if fill it with pasta or couscous then thats a filling meal. i buy frozen casserole veg which i find works great in a vegi soup, with a little stock and a couple of sweet potatoes.

a good place to shop for household things is quality save, home bargins or pound stores. toothpaste, toilet role, tin foil, washing up liquid tend to be cheaper. i also pick up the odd food item in quality save which is cheaper. 4 cans of chopped tomatoes for £1. a small bag of pasta for 50p. cereal can be cheaper too.
    i tried aldi the other week. the fruit and Vegas were cheaper but for me would only be worth going if need a big shop as the cost of petrol will be more since Tesco is just round the corner.

don't get me started on petrol!!!!

keep sharing tips and any supermarket offers etc

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

knowlesy
    Big tip is to avoid anything labelled or hinting towards healthy. Was on watchdog other week- for example there more sugar in a innocent product than 4 large chocolate doughnuts!! Flavoured bottled water is same. Also theres no evidence that spring water is better for you than tap & some of them are tapwater Dont need a filter either just leave a jug of tap water in fridge & the flouride etc evaporates anyway.
    Mum wont eat fatty foods but we need some fats& proteins. Unless intollerant/allergic/vegan etc eat all but less of it as often.
    Poundshops are good for big box stuff but say washing up liquid can get one for less in supermarket. Its a pain but best to shop round. Cleaning products -dont need kitchen cleaner, bathroom cleaner etc- theyre all a mix of detergents & bleach- use those

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knowlesy For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14),shine (07-07-13)