Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amaeru and Knowlesy's Eat well on a budget thread

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Aww hun I know it is hard honestly I do have been there on my own with my eldest and son before met Jay and not had enough to feed both me and the children so the children get fed rather than me, the thing is with me though if I dont like it I wont eat it full stop so if had to go budget for things like beans or if that was all was in my cupboard I wouldnt eat. Though will eat other budget items just certain ones I wont. I try and just shop around specially in places like the markets as find that can be cheaper just harder to have to carry the bags around.

I make pea and ham soup normally uses smoked bacon but can use a ham joint thats cooked
    all it is
    packet of quick soak dried peas
    a large onion
    2 large potatoes
    and the bacon/ham

can make it in bulk and freeze it in portions the recipe should be in the recipe thread,
    another quick and easy one is the link to the recipe for Soda bread I put up for Suzi the other week, no proving quick to make can make it dairy free or with milk or buttermilk and if like me you go through a lot of bread its ideal.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

knowlesy (06-07-13),Miss Molly (23-03-14)

Avoid cheap processed meats like the plague. Today though got 10 butchers lincoln sausages for 2quid. Kept some for sunday fry up & rest are frozen.
    Thing with beans is the beans are same- haricot beans- tasteless. Its the sauces that make the difference. If not tasty add a bit more tomato sauce or bbq, chilli or even curry powder (just keep windows open )
    Same goes for a lot of stuff- big brands usually have piles of sugar in (more salt & sugar in special k than frosties)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to knowlesy For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    I saw those recipes Angie
    That Soda bread sounds yummy.
    And on the subject of bread I'm really fancying having a go at this one I found earlier on the blog I linked to above ^^^^^

http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/01/3...nd-lime-bread/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

It's really hard in my house as I have 2 meat eaters (M + B), 1 veggie child (have you seen the price of quorn which is her favourite?) and 1 who isn't sure what she wants to eat 1/2 the time as she wants to be veggie but really only eats chickeny stuff and then me a dairy free veggie.. So. My life saver and budget tip is to Meal planner! I love my meal planner. Everyone picks 1 day and they choose what is for dinner on that day (with veggie/meaty alternatives). Then I arrange it so that leftovers can be used too. Such as lasagne for boys and me (different either), Haz makes her own quiche for her and Ferny occasionally, but there will be enough quiche left over for the following day too...
    I save so much money by just planning what we are going to eat all week.
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Sausage is one of the few things my daughter will eat, but I wont buy cheap ones, and do freeze them.
    Ice pops in summer I got the ice pop makers in poundland and make my own for the kids using value cordial and value range lemonade

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

Veggie/bean Chilli

One small onion
    One tin tomatoes
    One tin red kidney beans in chilli sauce
    One tin baked beans
    Chilli - powder,flakes or fresh
    Black pepper
    Oregano
    Cumin
    Garlic
    salt - all seasonings added to taste - + add others to customise
    Squirt of ketchup
    (splash of red wine if you have it but works just as well without)
    Optional not so secret ingredient cocoa/ or sqaure of dark chocolate

And yes all those tins are from the budget ranges - I defy anyone to tell the difference once the spices go in

Can be bulked up with other veggies as available - peppers, mushrooms, are awesome in this, for example

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14),Suzi (06-07-13),tinkerbell (06-07-13)

Refridgerated this ^^^^^^^ will last me 4 days.
    Day 1 the night I make it. - with rice
    Day 2 with pasta
    Day 3- on a baked potato or sweet potato
    Day 4 Last bit on a flatbread like a chilli pizza

All the above with salad make for generously portioned meals.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

I also buy ahead- had nothing to go with beef joint but will get things to go with it as & when.(gave spuds to someone more needy) The meal planners a good idea esp with perishable items.
    % wise its more expensive to by bags of salads but for a single person its better than throwing away loads- the crickets get some. If you have a garden makes good compost too- as Angie can testify

16. The Following User Says Thank You to knowlesy For This Useful Post:

Miss Molly (23-03-14)

My top tip for salads for one - especially right now when I am sans crisper box ....
    Living salad - You could buy it in a rectangular tub for about a £1 and as long as you remember to water it you've got salad.
    OR
    better still get a container - fill it with potting soil and sow mixed salad leaf seed. Works for herbs too - will live quite happiliy on a window sill.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

An allotment is a good idea you can grow spuds and if done right can save them over winter, the same for onions and other veg, seeds are so much cheaper and you get loads, we are still sorting the fencing for ours, also you cannot beat freshly layed eggs can so see the difference, make a yorkshire pudding batter with a shop bought egg and one just layed and the difference is really big