Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amaeru and Knowlesy's Eat well on a budget thread

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    That's a brilliant site Emmie **disappears for a couple of hours to plunder it for ideas**

And Suzi thanks for making it a sticky - We'd love to see it become an active resource for everyone to share and contribute. That would be fabulous

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Emmie (06-07-13),Suzi (06-07-13)

Retired Viking, holder of the cape of spangly awesomeness & holder of the amulet of knowledge of the magic bourbon biscuits Emmie's Avatar
    There's also the Old Style board on MSE (moneysavingexpert) it has looooooooooooooads of stuff, plus there was one poster (whose name I can't remember) who fed her family for £12 a week! It eas a few years ago mind but it's still superb :-)

Perhaps we should collate tips and links and make them into a list int he first post? I say we, I'm currently avoiding all the things I SHOULD be doing so should really not be talking myself into other things! But I do enjoy a good budgeting thread...
    Mara: Sometimes you're the cart, sometimes you're the horse...
    Me: Sometimes you're lying in the cart with a cold compress on your forehead...

Deservedly declared winner of Quiz 33 and taking bragging rights of that seriously.

Fab idea I'm guilty but I can't be bothered cooking ;s
    Remember to enjoy the good we must experience the bad
    To know happiness we must know sadness.
    Even when rock bottom there is always that glimmer of light and we can all find it.
    Xxx

Recipe one.etc

Take one tin of tomatoes.......

One small onion
    One tin of tomatoes
    Basil
    Black pepper
    (optional - drizzle of olive oil)

Chop the onion finely and if usng the oil lightly fry to soften it. If not using the oil sofen it using a very little water in the bottom of the pan instead.
    Add the tomatoes heat thru and season to taste.

As is this makes a simple basic pasta sauce. You can ring the changes by adding other ingredients depending on what you have.
    A little red chilli (flakes, powder or fresh) for example and you have Arrabiata sauce.
    Olives and a little garlic and you have Puttanesca
    The list is endless and limited only by your imagination

Bet of all if you add an equal amount of stock (fresh made or from a cube) and blend if desired you have your own fresh soup which will taste miles better than those expenive fresh soups you can buy and better than that orange looking tinned stuff made by a certain well known brand.

(if you want your soup to be a little more like that tinned one mentioned you can always add a little cream if you are feeling extravagant. A little plain youghurt left over from making a curry is nice too. And you can pick up a budget pot for as little as 30p

This soup will keep in the fridge for about 2-3 days - it can be frozen too in portions and defrosted for multiple use as soup/ sauce/ or base for other recipes.

Extra thrifty tip - make the most of bulk buy offers and make a large batch for the freezer then you will always have it ready on hand to use for whatever you want.
    Last edited by amaeru; 08-02-14 at 08:13 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Forever Autumn (07-07-13),Miss Molly (23-03-14),tinkerbell (06-07-13)

Retired Viking, holder of the cape of spangly awesomeness & holder of the amulet of knowledge of the magic bourbon biscuits Emmie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah76 View Post
    Fab idea I'm guilty but I can't be bothered cooking ;s
    I'm hilariously lazy when it comes to kitchen based stuff, but a lot of recipes genuienly take about the same amount of time as flinging things in the oven! Plus, they can be cheaper, tastier and if you batch cook (so make LOADS and freeze some) then the same as :-)

Start slowly though and there's loads you can do without cooking too, such as like Am said, swap more expensive pasta for the value stuff :-)
    Mara: Sometimes you're the cart, sometimes you're the horse...
    Me: Sometimes you're lying in the cart with a cold compress on your forehead...

Deservedly declared winner of Quiz 33 and taking bragging rights of that seriously.

I find mine are more of a pain as don't like what I cook, I have 4 who will eat lasagne but David won't eat it with cheese, pasta only Tom myself and Matthew will eat,
    Nightmare cooking
    Remember to enjoy the good we must experience the bad
    To know happiness we must know sadness.
    Even when rock bottom there is always that glimmer of light and we can all find it.
    Xxx

Ive got a few simple ones for meat & sauces.
    Check the clearance aisles. Yesterday got a silverside beef joint for £2! Its ok if you eat it or freeze it that day. Also got 4 proper quarter pounders for 1.50 & a few other. Another thing people forget is to parcel up meat into smaller sizes - dont have to defrost all. Same with bread & freezable veg. How many of us have found a manky pepper in fridge?? Chop, dry
    & put in freezer. Another tip with veg is or meats is to go to a market near closing time- theyre almost giving it away.
    People wont buy the cheap beans as they dont taste right- put a blob of ketchup in
    Same can be done for cheap bolognaise (plus can put youre own chilli powder, garlic & herbs)
    Really cheap sweet & sours just taste sweet but can add jiff lemon into it & again other things. Can get a jar from aldi for about 40p.
    Can add brown sauce or stock to cheap gravies or can add water to roasting tin (cooled a little first )& add that. Can add flat beer or blended onions for beer or onion gravy.
    A tip for drinks is to buy the 20p lemonade & add to cordials if a bit yukky. Can add fruit blened & strained & with a drop of jiff lemon & bashed ice for a summer fruit sanghria
    Pizzas forget toppings & buy the pound cheese & tom & add your own
    Basically avoid ready made. I realise its time consuming but if can put aside an hour & builf up some bits you can experiment with stuff
    Quick mushroon noodle soup (or whatever you wish to put in)
    Get 30p noodles, add 1/2 sachets of cuppa soup- watery add anything you want such as peas onions, real mushrooms, garlic, chicken, prawns etc. When most of liquid has gone you get a creamy sauce. Takes about 3 mins & is much better thank drinking yukky cuppa soups. I used out of date packets & its fine
    Basically can be done for anything.
    Last edited by knowlesy; 06-07-13 at 03:56 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knowlesy For This Useful Post:

amaeru (06-07-13),Miss Molly (23-03-14),tinkerbell (06-07-13)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I wont eat value beans will eat supermarkets own brand but not the value range its just yukk, the same for things like sausage refuse to eat cheap ones same goes for meat wont eat the value range, but I am an extremely fussy eater, as in where its bought, what it is and how its cooked.

I buy frozen veg rather than fresh as for me it goes alot further can get more meals per bag.
    Coffee again only have a certain one but buy the biggest jar can afford as it works out cheaper the same for sugar the bigger bag works cheaper for me
    meat I get from a certain butchers because it is good, yes he is expensive but he will also do the meat as I want which is he takes every bit of fat off of it for me or I simply wont eat any of my meal if there is a piece of fat in it.
    bacon I refuse to buy full stop
    I do however portion things like meat out, will buy for example 8 chicken breasts and freeze them on a tray then once frozen put them in packs of 4 in the freezer, mince will buy 5Ibs at a time and get the butcher to put it in a bag by the Ib and freeze them,
    I do look for the offers of 3 for 2, half price etc and also reduced items such as bread which we go through alot in this house.
    its hard as my little one is extremely funny with food and very limited on what she will eat though is slowly expanding on that
    I am relatively easy but am funny where it is bought and how it is cooked for example no one will cook bacon for me or eggs
    I also have to watch the amount of dairy my son has as he is lactose intolerant.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Though I will eat some of the value ranges from the supermarkets and dont use the more expensive supermarkets either but not keen on aldi for tinned things or freezer Asda is my main shop followed by tesco

I used to be a fussy eater
    I'm afraid I can't afford to be any more. Yes I'm working but minimum wage - not full time - and live on my own with a mortgage taken out when I had a better job. I'm barely making ends meet. By the time my bills and travel (for work) expenses come out of it I'm lucky to have £60 a month left and that has to cover food, household items, personal hygiene, prescription charges and any extra expenses that crop up unexpectedly. Which is why I'm coping without a fridge at the moment - simply couldn't afford one, even second hand last month. Maybe this month if I'm lucky.

Hope that the above doesn't come off as stroppy but honestly wish I could afford to turn my nose up at budget ranges etc. But honestly with a bit of effort they can be used to make perfectly good and healthy meals.