Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Distraction Techniques

Lying in bed is not going to be helping you at all love...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

That's true, I used to do that when my kids were small. Once they were old enough to go to school on their own, when hubby was at work I'd go back to bed. Often when he was there in the mornings (he worked shifts) I'd lie in bed while he got the kids ready and wouldn't get up til the afternoon. It does you and eveyone round you no good at all, honestly.

sailtothesun
    Do nothing for 2 minutes (http://www.donothingfor2minutes.com/) is peaceful and relaxing, I have used it a few times since finding it late last year and it helps. It's quite nice to just listen to the waves and be calm for a couple of minutes.
    Other than that, things that require concentration are often good distraction techniques crafty things such as knitting, painting, or drawing are great as you tend to be completely focused on what you are doing and nothing else (with the added bonus of creating something unique and lovely). Exercise is also good for distraction, but from time to time you don't feel like moving around at all. To get around this I put on my 'happy songs' playlist (full of bouncy, happy music, or cheesy crap, anything that makes me smile) and do something like cleaning or just playing with my dog in time with the music. It gets me moving soon enough and trying to concentrate on working to the beat of the music is great (even if it makes me feel really silly!).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailtothesun For This Useful Post:

amaeru (13-01-14),Suzi (13-01-14)

DaveB
    I've recently taken up fishing (7 months ago) and have found it soooooo theraputic. I find it clears my mind completely of crap, and even when my concentration is akin to that of a gnat I can concentrate on fishing as it's so involving. The other big plus is it gets me outdoors, which is good in the dark winter months as I get to experience much more daylight than I otherwise would with the resulting benefits to health and happiness. I only wish I'd done it years ago, especially as I live on a narrowboat!

graffiti-jo
    i find that talking and interaction with people can help,and also going somewhere busy,such as the gym etc etc and getting an endorphin high.But then again,sometimes a good ol cry can help too!!

jsaomney
    Keeping myself around positive people, knitting, planning for the summer holidays

beataamanda
    Lolcats is aaalways going to cheer you up! I don't care how down you are, you will at the least crack a smile. Buzzfeed is good for that as well as Humortrain.

Otherwise, I love getting lost in a good book as well, there is nothing so wonderful as getting lost on a completely different planet, time and life.
    I also like to write, it's good to get some of the cobwebs out in the mornings and that helps me set up for the day.

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    I love lolcats - I oftwn have difficulty concentrating to read when depressed .... on the other hand as a general rule of thumb my solution to almost any problem for as long as I can remember has been 'buy a book'
    As you might imagine... I've got a lot of books
    x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

Paula (09-02-14)

I have an iPad and follow a site called freedigitalreads.com. Every few days it sends you a list and links to free books in the Amazon kindle store. I now have thousands of books I've yet to read ......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (09-02-14)

jsaomney
    this 'time to talk' campaign is right in saying that a cup of tea and a chat can be lifesaving. i was feeling terrible yesterday and was awake until 7 this morning but then my bro came over and we had a cuppa and I'm feeling really good now i don't even feel bad that i have to go to work for 6 hours which was unthinkable not long ago. sending big hugs and good vibes to all of you. much love