Suzi (06-10-12)

AngelFace
    Knitting and reading I find are wonderful time-wasters

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelFace For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-10-12)

itscindylou
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
    http://pinterest.com/

^ be warned, it's so distracting it's potentially addictive sometimes, but it's *really* distracting!
    Definitely one of my favorite distractions I've also started listening to soothing instrumental music to help keep me calm. My youngest daughter asked me, "What's up with the music mom?" but it really seems to help. My favorite: Claire de Lune by Debussey.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itscindylou For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-10-12)

Scarlet Devil
    Couldn't agree more. I find it great for procrastination, had never really thought of it as a 'distraction' when I'm feeling low though ....perhaps actually baking all the yummy stuff I pin would be good too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Devil For This Useful Post:

Janelle
    I have found that FB and chatting at times helps to distract me. Mostly though as of lately, I have been using my beading to help. Its calming and fun. It also makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

Rosebud
    Coloring. It's a soothing and repetitive activity for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosebud For This Useful Post:

Suzi (17-10-12)

Dina
    nothing REALLY helps distract me, but I found things to do that give me strength to go on..

~So really, what "helps me" is, clean my apartment (it's become something I look forward to do.. "clean house, clean soul"- so they say!!)

~Draw and paint gives me the opportunity to express my feelings..

~play with my dog and go for walks with her

~friends can help me be distracted in some ways sometimes by being around me and doing things with me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dina For This Useful Post:

Suzi (19-10-12)

Alan
    One for helping you calm down, that will give you a few moments of solid concentration on something else, is to learn to juggle. The Japanese believe that only the Samurai have the skill it takes to juggle. It takes 100% concentration, so if you feel yourself "loosing it" it can be a great way to distract yourself for five minutes. Several years ago I worked with homeless people. I taught many of them to juggle so that I could use it when they got frustrated and angry.

If you want to learn start with one ball. Throw it from one hand to the other and back, in an ark that peaks in front of your eyes. Watch the top of the arc and learn to catch the ball without watching it into your hand. Then go to two balls. Throw the first from one hand, when it is just past the apex of its arc throw the second in a mirror arc of the first. Practice this until you can throw and catch repeatedly. Then introduce the third ball, As ball 1 starts to fall, just past its apex throw ball two from the other hand. As ball two starts to fall throw ball three from the first hand. It will take you a while but it isn't hugely difficult. Once you get this going there will be no stopping you. Heavier balls can be thrown higher which slows the process down. That technique is called a "3 Ball Cascade". Odd numbers are all juggled on this principal. Even numbers are a different technique (two per hand). If you practice the goal is more than 12. No one has ever been able to juggle more than 12 items.

Cheers,
    A.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:

Suzi (25-10-12)

Wendy
    I watch foreign TV shows with English titles that force me to pay attention to what I am looking at. Keeps my mind from wandering into dangerous places. Binge foods help a little, but the end result makes me feel worse so I try not to go that way. Arts and crafts really help show me what I am feeling, and I have all kinds of mediums that I mix and match at whim

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (31-10-12)

Fay
    I enjoy cooking and running the dogs.
    Recently, I have become obsessed with minesweep and spider solitair!! I can concentrate on that and stop worrying about other things.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fay For This Useful Post:

Suzi (02-11-12)