Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Distraction Techniques

stephenb
    tidying my garage

Hi Stephen, good to meet you? When you're ready, it would be great if you could tell yourself a little about you
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (02-02-16)

Nova
    Just going to pitch in as a forum newb but long time coper.
    I feel there are 3 types of stages and activities that can help for cope which worked for me as a complete loner. I hope it helps for others:

1- the Catatonic state
    Cant move, get out of bed. Lowest energy.
    Distraction: audiobooks, just roll over, put on Bleak Expectations by radio 4 or a Terry Pratchett Discworld audio book and just enjoy the comedy. Laughter can be the best medicine if not a distraction at the very least.

2- the Sloth state
    Excuses for everything, wont leave house, wont do work, hours of convincing yourself to do anything. Some energy.
    Distraction: make a list of all things you have to do in town that you can do in one fell swoop eg pick up your favorite foods, check bank from atm, see what offers are available in clothes/video/cd/supermarket shops, pick up leaflets at tourist information centres, library visit.
    Make it a full round journey thinking only on the destination and what you want to do there, even if its an hour out and you're listening to audiobooks/music all the way through, you've been out and done all the seemingly annoying tasks that needed to be done outside of home so that you can enjoy your results at home.

3- Motivation spike, or the "Meh"-state
    A moment of time you feel you want to do something but feel everything is boring.
    Distraction: go swimming, gym, biking, walking, running- just get out of the house. These moments might be rare, so take the opportunity to do it, get used to being outside and dont forget your media player in case things get boring or your mind starts fizzing again. Dont force yourself to make a routine of it, just do it when you can or you might feel guilty for breaking a routine.

Bonus: Any time at all. Look for comedy. Every time I found my self feeling low I've always turned to Comedy.
    Gabriel Inglesias is a stand up comedian that has made me laugh tears even in the darkest times. Some let's play personalities like Markiplier or Game Grumps are also funny. Comedy Based cartoons and anime as well has helped too where I veg out and binge watch a whole series with a happy grin across my face.
    These might not be for you but I thought I'd throw in my two cents and hope this helps people.

Michael
    Football podcasts, watching old re-runs of classic comedies (Only Fools and Horses being my favourite) and sitting down noodling with the guitar on my lap and hoping my No.1 hit wonder will come out making me millions overnight!

totalsciencer
    Okay that’s all set. That’s good way to distract from depression as we have many gadgets accessible and many things interesting so why not to adopt ways of getting rid of depression a stupid thing from our life. Why we will think about things which increase or depression level. I read a study that repetitive depression can make hippocampus smaller. Why we need to care about careless factors? We have our life and things we have to manage and organize for future betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by totalsciencer View Post
    Okay that’s all set. That’s good way to distract from depression as we have many gadgets accessible and many things interesting so why not to adopt ways of getting rid of depression a stupid thing from our life. Why we will think about things which increase or depression level. I read a study that repetitive depression can make hippocampus smaller. Why we need to care about careless factors? We have our life and things we have to manage and organize for future betterment.
    Hi and welcome. I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but it would be great if you could start your own thread so we can get to know you a,bit better
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (16-06-16)

shahara
    Hi there,

wondering if someone can relate to this? Due to PTSD i have difficuilty handling certain emotions.
    I understand this processes intellectually but tackling emotional triggers has turned out to be a hell of a lot of work. Dont get me wrong, the willing to change/transform is there but it is extremely hard and nerv wracking.

I get extremely furious when people come across authoritative or proud (Which of course comes out of a feeling of inferiority, fear, Anger) I want to then make this person feel shame, to show that i am way better and smarter. This has created some problems in my history.
    After therapy my situation got better but there are still moments where this feeling gets on to the surface.

Has someone got any advices?

Thanks

Have you had more specific therapy? Could you be referred for more?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

lonelyfrog
    I have just started playing Animal Crossing Wild World on Nintendo DS and find it a really helpful soothing activity. It is therapeutic with the soft sounds and little animals and colours and you can get lost for a couple of hours in your own virtual world, tending flowers, catching bugs or decorating your home.

Another thing I do a lot is read. Sometimes I like to catch up with my favourite bloggers on youtube which is also soothing, or I will colour (I coloured before the adult colouring hype) but it is so relaxing! Cleaning is also good and it stops me festering in bed and smells great :~) Thankyou for this sticky, I will keep looking to find new tips x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lonelyfrog For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-05-17)

sgchedra
    As a way to distract myself from a whole bunch of things, I made this youtube channel, comedy based, but I've been wanting to make videos on more mental illness things and I did my first ever video on this, with a bit of humor called "Dealing with Emotions". It would help so much if you could check the video out and maybe subscribe. I've been feeling really bad lately and I would be so appreciative if you could!!
    Last edited by Jaquaia; 30-05-17 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Removed link

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sgchedra For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-05-17)