Today is World Mental Health Day 2023 and the theme this year is “Mental health is a universal human right”. This means that “Everyone, whoever and wherever they are, has a right to the highest attainable standard of mental health. This includes the right to be protected from mental health risks, the right to available, accessible, acceptable, and good quality care, and the right to liberty, independence and inclusion in the community.” (WHO)

Did you know that, in 2019, NHS England produced a report stating that “people with SMI [severe mental illness] have 15 to 20 years shorter life expectancy than the general population. Most of this reduced life expectancy is due to a higher rate of physical conditions such as cardiovascular disease. Some of the drugs used to treat SMI can cause obesity and thus increase cardiovascular risk……. All people with SMI should be offered an annual physical health check.”? I was diagnosed with SMI 22 years ago and, other than regular blood tests I need to have, I can only remember having a handful of physical health checks.

Gov.uk stats show that “out of all ethnic groups, black people were most likely to be detained under the Mental Health Act in the year to March 2022, with 342 detentions per 100,000 people”.

WHO state that key messages we need to understand this WMHD include:

“Good mental health is an integral part of our overall health and wellbeing.
Mental health is a universal human right.
Everyone has the right to access quality mental health care.
Mental health conditions are a significant threat to the wellbeing of young people.
We must challenge the stigma and discrimination surrounding mental health.
We all have the right to live independently and be included in the community.
Good quality community mental health services and supports are crucial for all our futures.
Recognising mental health as a universal human right empowers people to stand up for their rights – and for those around them.
You might know your mind – but do you know your rights? Every person’s mind is wonderful, complex and different. But our rights are the same.”

We are a long way from achieving this aim. One way to get closer is to share, have conversations, keep mental health front and centre in the international conversation.